AEV NOS highline hood

Status
Not open for further replies.
the pic of the GR is the same pic as the POS that's been on Ebay and the AEV looks the same as both of those.....what am i missin here different materials?
For an extra $2,350 you could have a heavier hood that a magnet sticks to :ROFLMAO:

Has anyone bought the GR hood on the forum yet and reviewed it? @toximus looks like a great fit for your rig.

• Haha
Reactions: Daryl and Chris
ok so the AEV was a metal hood. they all look like they came off the same mold. everybody must be working off an their old design.

i have been tryin to get a body guy to look at a trimmed OE hood and see if he can kit a way to refinish the edges, at a reasonable cost.

I think Genright is coming out with (or going to distribute) a new highline hood. May be worth giving them a call before you buy the one posted above

That's not crazy. Would you find these kits more often ordered by dealers, like the Bison version of the zr2, or was it done by the end-user?
Its a bolt on option, I did mine on a Saturday.One thing about AEV everything they build is close to perfect.

There were a couple of Chrysler/Jeep Dealers doing Brute conversions and almost every one got the HighLine too. The Brute was a major project, the HighLine easy do it yourself.

Reactions: Alex01
Honestly, looking at the AEV HighLine kit, cutting the stock hood is pretty simple. Even modifying the stock fenders would not be hard if you can weld the light gauge steel. The AEV kit uses the stock inner fender and splices in a 3" strip to fill the 2" gap. And the outer fender is just a few 90 degree bends.... in the right spot. The only real custom part is the fender nose raised to fit the head light.

Reactions: Chris and Alex01
The only real custom part is the fender nose raised to fit the head light.

That is the hardest part to get to look right in DIY highlines.

Dave Kishpaugh from Jeepwest has tried his hand at this in the past. Ignore the tires, just look at the fenders in the photo below.

1224606151.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Ill be doing a DIY highline here in the future. I fully plan to cut, splice and have a body shop weld the fenders and repaint. I ran the MC fenders on my previous and while is nice, I love the OEM Highline look. Something like what this guy did

Reactions: psrivats
the pic of the GR is the same pic as the POS that's been on Ebay and the AEV looks the same as both of those.....what am i missin here different materials?
99% sure everything (GR, ebay) you see now is the same duraflex hood. I have one.

just some kind of adapter pieces at the grill and this could be more workable with stock fenders for the average joe.

and i see differences in heights between vendors too, they don't all land in the same spot on the grill. some are below the tops of the headlamps while others are at the top of them. so changing the hood after you made your cuts and fixed the fenders could pose fit issues.

For an extra $2,350 you could have a heavier hood that a magnet sticks to :ROFLMAO:

Has anyone bought the GR hood on the forum yet and reviewed it? @toximus looks like a great fit for your rig.
I bought the Duraflex hood off eBay from Express Aero Kits. Same as the hood someone posted here last year. I ended up with 2 of them because the first one somehow lost its box on its way from CA to TX and got damaged on a few corners so the company filed a claim against the shipper's insurance and sent me a replacement. I haven't installed it yet. It is pretty flimsy. The heat reduction cutout is covered with a crappy mesh held in place with wires stuck into the fiberglass during the molding. I do not see that lasting very long as the wires will rust away pretty quickly. The supports on the under side are not connected to the exterior panel. I am thinking I'll need to fill with expanding foam and some other material to get added stiffening. When all said and done I'll have much less than $1k in the hood which is saving money (and weight) over a true AEV steel hood. I'd prefer the AEV hood but they are going for $1500 or more, if you can find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.