After two attempts water pouring out muffler

Potomus Pete

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have been fighting with this 99 2.5 for two months now. Twice I have changed head gaskets and both times water is pouring out cylinder three exhaust. I have a brand new head and followed Factory Servicte Manual. Can you guys think of something that I might have missed that would that amount of water leaking. Just for the record I am planning on getting a lower milage used motor shipped to a local machanic. Idea's about anything?

Cracked block? Block isn't flat. New head isn't flat. New head is cracked.

This is when I find my friendly neighborhood machinist and say "Uncle."

-Mac

There is no machinist anywhere near me....If I get a used motor will it slide right in. I am not paying two grand for a guy to do it, so is it possible for a pretty good home mechanic to do.

Built my first motor when I was 22. There was no YouTube or forums then. Used a chiltons book of all things and ran that car another 100,000 miles. Just jump in there and do it if you know which end of a wrench to hold. Used an old needle and bar type torque wrench to get all my bolts torqued correctly. I get a real kick outta watching some YouTube videos from Pakistan and India where they pull their motors apart out in the dirt, toss all the bearing caps in a bucket, wash the parts in gas and put them back together. Run it!

This Jeep is so easy to work on it's just not right. It's like working on a lawn mower. I would like to rebuild it in the Jeep, but my disapointment runs high with the fact that I cant get this head right. Kind of stinks that I need to put the old head in to see if the new one has a problem

Reactions: macleanflood
Yup...the 4.0 and a slightly lesser extent the 2.4s are the AK-47s of engines...beat on em, drag em through the mud...overheat them... they'll take all kind of abuse...up to when something like this is happening.

Clearly the OP has got putting this together...done it twice, same results...so now it's time to make sure the head is straight and flat...you can eyeball it with a good straight edge...hell you can get a block of wood and sandpaper or big file and get it close.

You could try putting something like gear paint or grease on the head and place it carefully on the block and see if something isn't making contact...real thin coat of something.

Lots of redneck, third world things to try...me, personally, I'll do things three or four times and then try and get help and advice.

Trying the original head is a good idea... what's the stamping on the original head? Where'd you get the new one?

-Mac

Reactions: 707kevin
Pete I just Googled Automotive Machine shops near Sarasota and there seem to be several of them. Might want to check with some of them, might be worth a shot.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Pete I just Googled Automotive Machine shops near Sarasota and there seem to be several of them. Might want to check with some of them, might be worth a shot.

They say machine shops but they dont do automotive. They make parts from what I could tell. I got this head from Clearwater Cylinder andc its new from China. They dont do rebuilds of the 2.5 I have to wonder if the head is crACKED because a lot of water is going out the exhaust. I used copper spray

Reactions: macleanflood
Well hell you're an hour and a half from Clearwater Heads...unless this is your only vehicle I'd grab the head and plunk it on someone's desk come Monday.

I'll betcha they could check the block too.

Kinda why I ordered a Redhead steering box...5 hours away in Seattle from me in Oregon...if I need an engine S & J is in Spokane...I've dropped by Warn in Portland a couple of times.

-Mac

SnJ looks good for a motor that you would never have to worry anout. Im gonna pull this old head out of the bushes and try it one more time. Im getting pretty good at taking these heads off. If I didnt have a wife this would not be a problem. She cant see spending thousand on a Jeep, but Im in so deep now I dont see a problem.

There should be decent machine shop that qualifies as a job shop near you. I work at one in north Alabama and we do everything from fixing someone's bicycle to aerospace production. Surely one of them will want to make a dollar.
All they have to do is put it on a boring mill and run an indicator across it. If it isn't flat then a light pass with a fly cutter and it will be. Not hard work at all. The time and skill is in the set-up. Unfortunately the majority of machinist today are just button pushers.

Reactions: John Cooper