Aftermarket hardtop retaining bolts recommendations?

indio

TJ Enthusiast
Bought some aftermarket hardtop retaining bolts for the TJ. Disappointed about two things:

1) Bolts are barely long enough to thread. Makes it difficult to install. If at least a 1/4 inch longer would be much better.
2) Some bolts arrived corroded, as if they were used.

I'm returning the bolts. Is there a recommendation for a better setup?

Also it would be nice to have the nuts permanently mounted under the bed rail, avoiding having to keep track of them, and hassle of holding underneath while trying to thread. Anyone using something like that - either purchased or homemade? Maybe using liquid nails of some glue, I could secure the nuts under the bed rail?

I recall back in the day, for the CJs there were some nuts that you pop-riveted to the bed rails.

HardtopBolt.jpg

Tractor supply bolts/washers and wingnuts work well and are cheap. Wingnuts are easy to hold and the tub keeps them from spinning. You need two different sizes though, the door side holes are smaller.

Ive got the t-nuts and have no problems. I do have longer bolts though. Get longer bolts.

Are these them?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M634RKY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

If so, I used those on my TJ and don't recall having any issues with them.

I think those are the same. Sold by many different retailers, but probably same maker, I also got on Amazon.

First time using this set, was in a hurry this morning to install the hardtop due to rain, and could not thread the left rear bolt. Not long enough to thread. I noticed the other bolts were just making it as well. I was only able to thread after not using those rubber washers.

It's possible there is a bit of mud/debris on the hardtop mating surface, causing an issue. But I noticed other persons on Amazon complaining about the short bolts.

Reactions: Chris
Were you able to find longer bolts with the plastic heads that allow hand tightening? I would like to avoid having to use a wrench.

No I just keep a socket with an extension on it on the shelf with my other "get the jeep naked/dressed stuff". I tried some of the stuff designed to make it faster and I end up playing with it so much it took longer.

If you want to leave nuts in there why don't you just throw in some nutserts in the holes if you don't mind seeing them with top off, or jut take a little brush and paint them to color match as close as possible to tub color. Just remember to are sure threads are clean when putting top/bolts back in, sure they be a catch all hole for everything.

You can get a whole box of metric ones off Amazon for like $10-20 metric/std, quanity, different sizes,carbon steel,stainless,aluminum, no set material or what size they need to be. As long as you have say maybe 1" washer under bolt head(fender washer if need be) you'd be way more than sufficient. Put any head bolt fastener in it you desire(same thred of nutsert of course) or just use the thumbscrew type you already have.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZY68QKW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076DVVV93/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: JMT
Were you able to find longer bolts with the plastic heads that allow hand tightening? I would like to avoid having to use a wrench.
You can find them in most hardware stores, albeit just not as cheap as you will get them online of course. Just take one in with you to check size and thread pitch if not sure.

If you want to leave nuts in there why don't you just throw in some nutserts in the holes if you don't mind seeing them with top off, or jut take a little brush and paint them to color match as close as possible to tub color. Just remember to are sure threads are clean when putting top/bolts back in, sure they be a catch all hole for everything.

You can get a whole box of metric ones off Amazon for like $10-20 metric/std, quanity, different sizes,carbon steel,stainless,aluminum, no set material or what size they need to be. As long as you have say maybe 1" washer under bolt head(fender washer if need be) you'd be way more than sufficient. Put any head bolt fastener in it you desire(same thred of nutsert of course) or just use the thumbscrew type you already have.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZY68QKW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076DVVV93/?tag=wranglerorg-20

That is an interesting option. Searching online I was not able to find any posted examples of using rivet nuts on a TJ. But did find a guy who used them on an early Bronco in similar application to fasten a top. I might give that a try along with some longer knob bolts I see on Amazon.

Reactions: JMT
I think those are the same. Sold by many different retailers, but probably same maker, I also got on Amazon.

First time using this set, was in a hurry this morning to install the hardtop due to rain, and could not thread the left rear bolt. Not long enough to thread. I noticed the other bolts were just making it as well. I was only able to thread after not using those rubber washers.

It's possible there is a bit of mud/debris on the hardtop mating surface, causing an issue. But I noticed other persons on Amazon complaining about the short bolts.

I literally just put those on mine last night and didn’t have an issue with length. All bolts the same or did you get a defective one?

I literally just put those on mine last night and didn’t have an issue with length. All bolts the same or did you get a defective one?

A few months ago, I had bought a similar set which seemed to work ok. But apparently someone stole that set out of the glovebox where they were kept. :(

So I ordered another set last week, of what I thought were the same, and in the rush to install the top this morning due to rain, we were only able to install a few of the bolts. All bolts in this new set are same length, but barely threading. Several bolts are corroded, so for sure I am returning this set just for that reason.

My TJ has bedliner rolled on the top rail, and also it's possible some mud got on the underside mating surface of the top, due to being stored on the backyard lawn. So that could cause a few millimeters of added width to cover. But really I am surprise the length of the bolts is so short as to have an issue. I wonder when tightened down, how much extra thread of the bolt you are having below the nut?

A few months ago, I had bought a similar set which seemed to work ok. But apparently someone stole that set out of the glovebox where they were kept. :(

So I ordered another set last week, of what I thought were the same, and in the rush to install the top this morning due to rain, we were only able to install a few of the bolts. All bolts in this new set are same length, but barely threading. Several bolts are corroded, so for sure I am returning this set just for that reason.

My TJ has bedliner rolled on the top rail, and also it's possible some mud got on the underside mating surface of the top, due to being stored on the backyard lawn. So that could cause a few millimeters of added width to cover. But really I am surprise the length of the bolts is so short as to have an issue. I wonder when tightened down, how much extra thread of the bolt you are having below the nut?

About this much. This one also has a loop attachment thing on the top side too.

They have a bunch of different color plastic topped bolts a friends daughter-in-law bought from Amazon. Plenty of thread. Maybe an inch hanging below the nut. They were similar to the ones pictured but had four point wing bolt, tiedown point, and a regular nut. She had like 8 or 10 in the pack I think. Come in red, green (matched her Jeep) black, blue. Maybe other colors too.

I like the nutsert idea. It is very difficult to hold the retaining nut on the holes by the b pillar while threading. I might look into this. Thanks

I glued mine (the nuts) on with silicone adhesive.
I used these for more surface area.
View attachment 117638
That’s smart .

I’d only consider the top needs to be far back as possible when installed usually so the doors don’t rub.so I’d silicone , install top at same time so the threaded plates end up in the best position for your top figment .

Turns out I wasn't imagining things. I found the first set of aftermarket hardtop fasteners (misplaced in the garage). When compared to the second replacement set - the bolts of the first set are longer! That explains why it was easier to get the longer bolts threaded into the nuts. The second set are marginally too short for my application.

HardtopFastenerComparison.jpg

Reactions: T_Hase89