Aftermarket Radio Wiring

Guitarguy

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys! So I just got a double din radio for my 2006 TJ. It requires 15 amps to power it and has a 15 amp fuse in the back of the radio. Can I just swap the fuse in the fuse box from a 10 amp to a 15 to accommodate for the higher power requirements or do I need to run a fuse adder kit to a power supply in the fuse block that's already a 15 amp supply and always on? On a separate note, I have added heated seats and would like to add a light bar and power locks at some point. Would it be beneficial to add another fuse block to run all of the aftermarket stuff or is it ok to just keep running stuff to the battery/fuse adder kits? Also, I have the 2.4 four cylinder in mine. Would I need to get a higher output alternator if I decided to go with the extra fuse block? Any help on this would be great. Thank you all in advance.

Absolutely do NOT just replace a 10 amp fuze with a 15! The circuit that it's on is designed to operate to 10 amps.
Find someplace to install an auxiliary fuze box. I did this:
This is mounted on the tray by the brake booster.

007 (3).JPG

This is mounted by the driver's footwell.
021.JPG

If you want to swap the 10a for a 15a fuse, that’s fine as long as the wires in the circuit you’re using are able to withstand 15a of current. Most automotive wiring harnesses are built above the bare minimum due to the need for a safety factor.

Use this for a reference of how to best see if you can make it happen.
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amp/12-volt-wire-loss-chart-d_1689.html

Hey guys! So I just got a double din radio for my 2006 TJ. It requires 15 amps to power it and has a 15 amp fuse in the back of the radio. Can I just swap the fuse in the fuse box from a 10 amp to a 15 to accommodate for the higher power requirements or do I need to run a fuse adder kit to a power supply in the fuse block that's already a 15 amp supply and always on? On a separate note, I have added heated seats and would like to add a light bar and power locks at some point. Would it be beneficial to add another fuse block to run all of the aftermarket stuff or is it ok to just keep running stuff to the battery/fuse adder kits? Also, I have the 2.4 four cylinder in mine. Would I need to get a higher output alternator if I decided to go with the extra fuse block? Any help on this would be great. Thank you all in advance.

Ok, to really answer your questions....

AS C.J.Roberts said - No do not just replace the fuse 10 amp to 15 amp....

Install an auxiliary fuse block for your accessories... (yes you can keep running stuff to the battery/fuse adder kits... but not preferred)
- you can use a relay off the original 10 amp circuit to trigger the new stereo 15 amp circuit if you want to... Still needs its own 15 amp circuit....
- Hook your heated seat circuit to its own fuse on the new fuse block
- Separate switch & relay (unless your switch can handle the light bar amps... but I would opt for a relay either way) for your newly added light bar on the new fuse panel...

All the things you mentioned would not make me think you need a higher output alternator... these are all pretty small draw items that are not in constant use.... I would think you are ok with stock as long as it is working correctly... (also you could look at doing the "big three upgrade")

Thank you all for your replies! I'll probably find a 15 amp fuse in the box that's always on and run the radio to that for the time being and I'll pull the fuse for the main radio power output. I'll definitely add another fuse block at some point cuz I do hate how messy and sketchy the current one is. I just don't have a ton of time right now to do it all. Thank you all and Merry Christmas!