Aftermarket Seat Tumble Cable? (Plus Pics of Fold-and-Tumble Mechanism)

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Worked perfectly. So far so good. We'll see how long it lasts.

Very fun to have this feature again, after years of reaching under the seat for that paddle-lever.

Reactions: red02tj
Bit hard to describe. I have a spare seat with upholstery removed. I will try to remember to post a pic to show how the cables run.

Bit hard to describe. I have a spare seat with upholstery removed. I will try to remember to post a pic to show how the cables run.

Well, I had a minute between Zoom calls ...

There are two cables involved. The first runs from the passenger's right shoulder to the passenger's right hip. All this cable does is initiate the seat 'tilt'. When the seat tilts, it pulls on the second cable, which initiates the tumble. This second cable runs from the passenger's left hip, under the seat springs, to a mounting point right next to that "paddle lever", which as you probably know can be used to manually trigger the fold-and-tumble action.

Pics below.

First cable initiates 'tilt' feature only. Can be triggered by pulling on ribbon or lifting the lower lever.Second cable attaches here. It's missing in this pic, but you can see the black sheath, and also the mounting point / hole that pivots when the seat tilts forward.Second cable runs under the springs, along the left side of the seat. It terminates at a mounting point right by the paddle-lever.Closer pic of where the second cable's sheath terminates at a mounting point, with the nearby hole for the cable to connect to. Just under that is the black paddle-lever.

tempImageMdTC2q.png

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 12.08.24 PM.png

tempImage2iOhar.png

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 12.08.38 PM.png

Well, I had a minute between Zoom calls ...

There are two cables involved. The first runs from the passenger's right shoulder to the passenger's right hip. All this cable does is initiate the seat 'tilt'. When the seat tilts, it pulls on the second cable, which initiates the tumble. This second cable runs from the passenger's left hip, under the seat springs, to a mounting point right next to that "paddle lever", which as you probably know can be used to manually trigger the fold-and-tumble action.

Pics below.

First cable initiates 'tilt' feature only. Can be triggered by pulling on ribbon or lifting the lower lever.Second cable attaches here. It's missing in this pic, but you can see the black sheath, and also the mounting point / hole that pivots when the seat tilts forward.Second cable runs under the springs, along the left side of the seat. It terminates at a mounting point right by the paddle-lever.Closer pic of where the second cable's sheath terminates at a mounting point, with the nearby hole for the cable to connect to. Just under that is the black paddle-lever.

Okay, thanks. I guess that I'll pretty much have to completely disassemble the seat to fix it.

I just thought I'd toss in this reply. I recently needed this cable but for a 2006. I found this thread while looking for the part but the cable for 03-06 is different. I couldn't find a replacement so I just used a lawnmower throttle cable. The z bend fits nicely on to the release lever on the side of the seat. To connect it to the lever underneath the seat I just cut one end off and attached the plastic clip from an old throttle return spring. It snaps on perfectly to the release lever. Total cost was about $12. This was the cable I used.

Pro-Parts 104-8677 Replacement Brake Cable for Toro 22" Recycler Lawn Mower Replaces 290-935 1048677 20001 20003 20005 20009 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RVNRYWD?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: LONGJP2 and SSTJ
Okay, thanks. I guess that I'll pretty much have to completely disassemble the seat to fix it.

I actually fixed mine by just removing the seat and pulling the fabric and padding back a bit around that passenger's-left-hip corner. With the seat turned upside doesn't you can access all the rest from below.

Reactions: C.J. Roberts
I wound up removing and disassembling the passenger seat to replace foam and add seat heaters. The passenger seat does the Tip-n-Slide just fine.
My driver seat is very different. It will tip and slide but in 3 manual steps.
The headrest lever releasees the seat back to tilt forward.
Then the front bar unlocks the slide so I can push it forward.
Finally, I push down on the lever under the seat and it releases the tip mechanism to raise the back of the seat.
It can't go as far as the passenger seat because of the steering wheel but you could get in and out of the rear. Does this all sound factory correct?

I wound up removing and disassembling the passenger seat to replace foam and add seat heaters. The passenger seat does the Tip-n-Slide just fine.
My driver seat is very different. It will tip and slide but in 3 manual steps.
The headrest lever releasees the seat back to tilt forward.
Then the front bar unlocks the slide so I can push it forward.
Finally, I push down on the lever under the seat and it releases the tip mechanism to raise the back of the seat.
It can't go as far as the passenger seat because of the steering wheel but you could get in and out of the rear. Does this all sound factory correct?

The process you're describing sounds just like what I used to do with my passenger seat when the cable was snapped. My driver's seat doesn't have the fold-and-tumble feature, but I would think it should work the same as the passenger seat, even if it doesn't go as far forward (due to the steering wheel I assume).