Air Bag Light and Dash Demons

Maygo

Hey Forum,

I have a 97 4.0 TJ. I have had a recurring electrical issue. The dash will randomly "die" and the airbag light will come on. It will randomly have certain gauges work then move then die and the tach or speedo will come alive for a second or so but overall it is not tracking mileage or giving me accurate readings on the instrument cluster. (I did a dash cluster test with the key and turning it on and off and everything registers correctly).

I have researched the forum and tried many of the fixes recommended to this similar problem but it has not fixed it.

How it started:

I did get some rain through a window and the horn started blaring and threw up a the "airbag" light. I pulled the connection on the horn. This is a weekend cruiser and I don't drive every day but thought that it would dry out and all would be well. I then noticed the guages not working or would intermitenly work.

After research on here and other places, I took the dash a part and did the dialectic grease and twisted the pins to get a good fit. I have done this a few times over the last few months and still no gauges. I then swapped out the clock-spring.

Once the clock-spring was installed, I connected the horn back together and it was still blaring as soon as the connections touched. The gauges still aren't working and the airbag light is still on. Did I install the clockspring incorrectly? The turn-signals will cancel when turning (So I thought I did it correctly).

Any ideas? Thanks

Sounds like your instrument cluster is dying. This is exactly how it happens, intermittently working, sometimes reading all sorts of nonsense, sometimes losing power altogether. Eventually it'll just die entirely.
I don't recommend doing any of your own cluster work though, you'll trip the tampering warnings. Most independent shops aren't equipped to do clusters, but there are a few good ones. I can vouch for this shop, they focus on clusters exclusively. https://www.instrumentclusterstore.com/Jeep_instrument_clusters.htm