Air compressor for trail use

rjinaz86323

Grasslands of Arizona
Supporting Member
I only seem to get about one ride per month (sometimes less). I have 33x12.50x15 KO's. I normally run 25psi and air down to 12psi. I am looking for a decent portable or on-board compressor. I don't need a super fast one, but don't want to waste a lot of time airing back up. I have looked at a lot of different ones on the internet to the point that I am overwhelmed.

What are you guys using and recommending?

Thx
Rick

Your goal in selecting an air compressor is to 1) ignore its PSI claims as its max PSI rating is totally irrelevant. The only rating that counts is its CFM rating. 2) Buy one with as high of a CFM (cubic feet/minute) rating as you can afford. The CFM rating is the key to the compressor requiring a 5-8 minutes or 45 minutes to refill your tires. I'd go for something with no less than 2 CFM rated into 10 psi.

Caution that some dishonest compressor suppliers will give a misleading CFM rating that doesn't include how it was measured. The CFM must be rated into a particular PSI pressure, like a compressor encounters when refilling a tire. An honest CFM rating will be into something like 10 psi, like a tire presents.

A dishonest CFM rating will not include the pressure into which that CFM rating was measured. That means they used 0 psi resistance to obtain their CFM which does not produce a usable/real CFM number. Our LUNGS can put out 10 CFM but only into open-air (0 PSI). But into 10 psi? Our lungs couldn't put out 1/2 CFM. Make sense?

I have a MV50 and it gets the job done for relatively cheap. I replaced the hose with a better quality one and put good fittings on it.

I have the Viair 450 and the same tires as you do. I air down to 10psi and back up to 26psi for the road. Takes me 15 minutes or so from the time I get the compressor out until the time I put it away. I’ve had this compressor for 8 years. Got it for free on a Toyo Tire promo.

00.jpg

Does your cordless tool brand make an air compressor for your battery packs? If it does, that can be damn handy. I use a cordless compressor all around the farm for airing up tires. Handy when no 12v is around. Also easier than pulling out hose line from the garage/ shop most times.

A lot of people use the Viair. However, I wanted something in the Jeep at all times. Space is limited in a TJ of course. It’s also there for my rear locker. I really like the ARB. It’s not a speed demon. But, I have no complaints with its speed. It’s about 5 pounds a minute. I have the same brand, size and model tire as you. I installed it on the tray that would have been for antilock brakes if I had them. I’m very happy with it.

2FB28A2C-20AC-4AAB-AEF3-19D372ADAB1D.jpeg

A lot of people use the Viair. However, I wanted something in the Jeep at all times. Space is limited in a TJ of course. It’s also there for my rear locker. I really like the ARB. It’s not a speed demon. But, I have no complaints with its speed. It’s about 5 pounds a minute. I have the same brand, size and model tire as you. I installed it on the tray that would have been for antilock brakes if I had them. I’m very happy with it.

View attachment 218860
I have the Viair onboard setup, also works great.

Considering the dual ARB for an upcoming project so I can compare the systems.

Another vote for Viair here. I have the 400P.
I work in the sand dunes. I am constantly deflating/ inflating my tires.
I got some auto deflators and that Viair. Works great. I beat the hell out of it and it never quits.

It's not mounted but wouldn't take much to do so.

I like my ARB. Needed something for my rear locker anyway so decided to wire it up for trail duty as well.

ARB.jpg

Heep16.jpg

I have a Viair 400H mounted in my LJ:

Compressor Installation.jpg

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-simple-onboard-air-for-your-tj-viair-400h.10235/

I also own a Viair 400P portable kit that I have used for several years on other rigs.

Complete Inflation System.jpg

The Viair 450 series compressors have a 100% duty cycle and will run all day, but the 400 series compressors are faster, i.e. with a greater CFM rating, and will air up two sets of 35" tires from trail to street pressure before reaching the 20 minute run time specified for their 33% duty rating. Either would be a good choice.

If one has the room, and the budget, the ExtremeAire High Output is also a good unit. I have one hard mounted underneath my Sprinter.

On Board Air.jpg

https://www.extremeoutback.com/product/extremeaire-high-output-12-volt-compressor/

Viair 400 = 1.64 CFM @ 50 psi, 33% duty cycle
Viair 450 = 1.27 CFM @ 50 psi, 100% duty cycle
ExtremeAire High Output = 2.30 CFM @ 50 psi, 100% duty cycle

Reactions: Apparition
I like the YORK for OBA. It isn't as cheap as some of the other options but it's there and you don't have to worry about an electric motor burning out or any of that. If you DON'T have A/C on your rig making your own bracket would be fairly simple. If you have A/C then you should look at either ORO or CU OffRoad. If you have A/C and live some place where you really don't need it you can also convert your current a/c compressor into a OBA setup.