Air intake temperature sensor

Chris Carlile

Hi,
New member here. 2001 wrangler TJ with 4.0 I6 w/ automatic trans lifted with 31" tires. Just bought this jeep about a month ago. Idle is high and almost pulls the vehicle along even under braking. Also noting a vibration when slowing down such as when turning onto a side street. Vibration goes away when I step on the gas a bit. Looking on the forum this seemed to fit a possible description of a bad or dirty idle control valve. Following suggestions on the forum I purchased a can of throttle body cleaner and used it as described. The problem continued. A week later the check engine light came on. I then sent for a code reader on Amazon. It arrived today, plugged it in and got the indication of a bad air intake temperature sensor. Question # 1: Do the symptoms described fit a failed AIT sensor? Question # 2: I know from reading the forums an o.e.m. replacement is recommended. Looking on Amazon I can't find an o.e.m. I don't want to pay Chrysler price as it's guaranteed to be higher than on line. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Chris Carlile
Pottstown, PA.

Those symptoms are certainly inline with what you'd expect from a bad IAT. If it isn't functioning correctly, the PCM doesn't know the temperature and therefore can't adjust things accordingly.

Do you know the part number for a replacement IAT by chance?

Thanks to both Chris and Jerry for your quick responses. I've now ordered the oem sensor which Jerry provided the Amazon information for. I have my fingers crossed this fixes the problem. I'll let you know. All the best!

recently purchased a 1998 TJ with a Bank ram air. Not running like I would expect. Cracked exhaust manifold replaced and noticed no sensor as the cold air supply tube is aftermarket. Thinking I should get one and install it.