Air shocks for 05 TJ rear?

MikeOK

Hello, I’ve been searching here and the vendors and haven’t found much. I’ll be using my TJ to tow and need to be able to adjust the rear height to match loads. Anybody know of any air shocks? Any other ideas? Thank you 🙏

So, the tow rate is like 3k or 3.5 right? What are you trying to do here?

In case you didn't understand. Airbags.
eye test (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

• Love
Reactions: B252
Hello, I’ve been searching here and the vendors and haven’t found much. I’ll be using my TJ to tow and need to be able to adjust the rear height to match loads. Anybody know of any air shocks? Any other ideas? Thank you 🙏
I ran into a similar situation with my neighbor's Tacoma. He had occasion to haul more than a fair bit of weight in the bed. I went looking for some air shocks to assist with the load and discovered that they are not really recommended for adding capacity. Once I spent a few minutes thinking about it, there is some wisdom there. The stock shock mounts are not really rated for that, on the Jeep or the Toyota. Find another way to add capacity.

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
I ran into a similar situation with my neighbor's Tacoma. He had occasion to haul more than a fair bit of weight in the bed. I went looking for some air shocks to assist with the load and discovered that they are not really recommended for adding capacity. Once I spent a few minutes thinking about it, there is some wisdom there. The stock shock mounts are not really rated for that, on the Jeep or the Toyota. Find another way to add capacity.
Convert the rear suspension to leaf springs, add a few extra leafs. GTG.

Air shocks, ahhhh the good old days when I blew out three different sets on the back of my Baja Bug before finding the right set. The first three were just air bags that grew and shrank with every move inside what looked like a shock. The last set actually had the rod that slid in and out like a real shock without the bag moving so it really just added the lift when needed (every day!!!). I've been told I had that Bug 10ft in the air many times but it's hard to tell how high I really was while holding on to the steering wheel.

I did mention the good old days, right?

Airbags shouldn't be used to correct issues with bumper towing. It can make for an unsafe situation as you will unload your front tires during braking.

Airbags work for fifth wheel/gooseneck or truck camper height correction.

Airbags shouldn't be used to correct issues with bumper towing. It can make for an unsafe situation as you will unload your front tires during braking.
How would that happen? Braking normally transfers more weight onto the front brakes and away from the rear brakes. I used rear airbags to level my Cherokee and Grand Cherokee while towing boats.

I don't know what your towing but a proper weight distribution hitch really helps with towing generally. Harbor freight sells a decent one for the money that is basically the cheaper Curt with a different sticker. Or at least the older one I have is.

But again that might be overloading the tj if you really need one since the tow rating is only 2k.

Reactions: Apparition
How would that happen? Braking normally transfers more weight onto the front brakes and away from the rear brakes. I used rear airbags to level my Cherokee and Grand Cherokee while towing boats.
The weight of the trailer pushes down on the hitch which unloads the front. For a bumper pull trailer a weight distribution hitch is the better solution as it transfers the weight from the rear to the front.

Reactions: Longwhitejeep