Air vent issue

Dan Westphal

I turned my AC on today and selected the vents. I took off in the Jeep and shortly into my trip the air switched to the defrost vent. I moved the location selector around and back in the forwarding facing vents and it came back. Then moved by itself back to the defrost vent. Knowing that it all works off of pressure what should I look at as being the culprit?

I honestly don't think it did this when I had the heat on.

Just picked up the Jeep 2 weeks ago.

2004 manual sport.

Thanks!

I believe one of thee threads may have the answer to your problem (which is a seemingly common one on TJs):

How to fix heat / AC / air not blowing through center vents
Air won't come out of vents? Read this!
Slow HVAC controls when switching from floor vents to dash vents

To sum things up, it's almost certainly a vacuum leak somewhere, you'll just have to really inspect all the vacuum hoses under the dash going through the firewall and figure out if one of them has a crazy in it, because even the smallest crack can cause this.

So I don't think that thread applies. The vent selector is changing based on my acceleration. It starts on the front vent and then moves to the defrost vent when I step on the gas. It feels like a vacuum issue maybe. I know the blendor operates off of air pressure. Does this sound like a reasonable path to look at?

Likely a vacuum leak in one of the lines. It defaults to defrost mode when there isn't enough vacuum to actuate the blend door pods. Pull the glove box lid and check the lines. I've had the line get pinched by the glove box lid before. also check the lines under the hood where they connect to the manifold and air tank.

Likely a vacuum leak in one of the lines. It defaults to defrost mode when there isn't enough vacuum to actuate the blend door pods. Pull the glove box lid and check the lines. I've had the line get pinched by the glove box lid before. also check the lines under the hood where they connect to the manifold and air tank.
That's kind of what I was thinking. Thanks for the comment.