Airing down (tire dimension changing)

mattcogdell

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Has anyone ever experimented with how the top of the tire’s dimension gets narrower with low air pressure (5-10psi)?

When airing down, the contact patch/foot print is increased. This would change the width at the top of the tire as well making it narrower. I would assume this change in dimension could be 1/2” to maybe as large as 1” with vehicle weight on the tire. This is of course a guess and would vary based on wheel and tire size.

Anyone have any knowledge or measured this before?

FB2E68DD-3DED-4547-9956-8074AC1172B8.jpeg

Curious how you came up with this theory. I've never heard of it before. The sidewall gets more flexible with less psi, spreading the tread on the bottom. I see no reason why this would narrow the top.

@Goatman this is only a theory. I think there maybe some reduction in tire width under the weight of the vehicle. I’ve also heard several guys cycling their suspension at the psi they wheel at. I’m sure this has to do with the change in the tires overall size.

@EzPeezy that is what I am trying to find out. I assumed the tires dimension changed, being the reason some cycle the suspension at a low psi. If the tire dimension changed this would increase clearance.