Alabama Alabama / East TN Folks - Iron Gap Question?

gasiorv

I'm a new world samurai, and a redneck nonetheless
Supporting Member
We did the north part of the TN side of the Iron Gap Trail in 2021. Was looking to go back in January and we heard a "rumor" that there was some legal battles going on with parts of the Iron Gap trail. Reports of a someone calling the sheriff on some off-roader. I do know the trail crosses some county owned land, TWRA and wildlife management areas, and some private property, and not sure if it was a hunter calling, private landowner, etc... Also, could also just be BS rumor.

OnX is still showing the trail open and the last report on OnX was in Nov 23 so it appears to be open but friends of mine are worried about hitting the trail and getting called in to the sheriff, etc... Doesn't appear that the Rocket City Wrangler FB page is very active and I just sent a Join request to the North Alabama Jeep Club page to see if I could get any info through them.

Anyone from North Alabama or East TN done the Iron Gap trail in the last few months OR hear any issues with the trail?

As an alternate to including the Iron Gap trail in our weekend overlanding trip, my friends want to drive to the Jack Daniel's Distillery, so possibly my friends created the rumor :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper
I haven't heard anything, I know the Alabama side Estill Forks is still open. Let me see if I can dig some and find anything

@AndyG you heard anything?

I haven't heard anything, I know the Alabama side Estill Forks is still open. Let me see if I can dig some and find anything

@AndyG you heard anything?

Well I’ll see what I can find out what I can pretty much tell you what typically goes on-

That road is a Tennessee state right away and about anything off of it is land that you can’t get on due to the state control or privately leased hunting land-

If anybody gets off the trail invariably you’re going to get in trouble pretty quick from an active game camera or sentry system or simply running into somebody- or the state conservation officers more likely- they ticketed about 15 people on 4 wheelers one Saturday for playing in the creek.

There has likely been drama, but likely it is open.... has to be for access.

I will ask around.

The cool thing about the area is you can make it about whatever you want it to be- it can be mild or hard core - and anything in between.

You just have to know your way around a little bit.

Worst case I’m going to go as soon the holidays are over and see what I can find out. I’m overdue a good roll.

Last edited:
We did the north part of the TN side of the Iron Gap Trail in 2021. Was looking to go back in January and we heard a "rumor" that there was some legal battles going on with parts of the Iron Gap trail. Reports of a someone calling the sheriff on some off-roader. I do know the trail crosses some county owned land, TWRA and wildlife management areas, and some private property, and not sure if it was a hunter calling, private landowner, etc... Also, could also just be BS rumor.

OnX is still showing the trail open and the last report on OnX was in Nov 23 so it appears to be open but friends of mine are worried about hitting the trail and getting called in to the sheriff, etc... Doesn't appear that the Rocket City Wrangler FB page is very active and I just sent a Join request to the North Alabama Jeep Club page to see if I could get any info through them.

Anyone from North Alabama or East TN done the Iron Gap trail in the last few months OR hear any issues with the trail?

As an alternate to including the Iron Gap trail in our weekend overlanding trip, my friends want to drive to the Jack Daniel's Distillery, so possibly my friends created the rumor :ROFLMAO:

If I remember right I owe this member a favor so I’ll bend over backwards to help him out-

• Haha
If I remember right I owe this member a favor so I’ll bend over backwards to help him out-

I appreciate it, but No need to go out of your way. It will be nice to hit this trail again but if the others already have their mind set that there is an issue I may get out voted by the others no matter what.

I appreciate it, but No need to go out of your way. It will be nice to hit this trail again but if the others already have their mind set that there is an issue I may get out voted by the others no matter what.

It’s a nice area if you have not been there

if there’s any way some of us can all get together we need to do that as well.

We ran Iron Gap on Friday and had no issues with anyone. We ran it from North to South and then turned around abd ran it south to north. It was raining all morning Friday and we did have a little issue with the creek rising. My buddies Samurai took the brunt of a not so bright decision.
1000001242.png

We ran Iron Gap on Friday and had no issues with anyone. We ran it from North to South and then turned around abd ran it south to north. It was raining all morning Friday and we did have a little issue with the creek rising. My buddies Samurai took the brunt of a not so bright decision.
View attachment 491429

Post up some more pictures bud!!!!

You weren't to far from my house. Maybe 40 miles.

I am the worst for taking pictures so I don't have any. Maybe be able to get some from the others.
We ran Iron Gap Friday, then did Coppinger Cove Saturday, AOP Saturday night, and then Coalmont OHV Park today. Finished up around 4pm at Coalmont and got to my Nephew's house in Nashville just as the roads were starting to get snow covered. Going to work remotely from here until the roads clear up from the winter storm blowing through and then head home to Memphis. Great weekend in beautiful country!

• Wow
I am the worst for taking pictures so I don't have any. Maybe be able to get some from the others.
We ran Iron Gap Friday, then did Coppinger Cove Saturday, AOP Saturday night, and then Coalmont OHV Park today. Finished up around 4pm at Coalmont and got to my Nephew's house in Nashville just as the roads were starting to get snow covered. Going to work remotely from here until the roads clear up from the winter storm blowing through and then head home to Memphis. Great weekend in beautiful country!

Dang you were right here!!!

AOP 15 minutes away, Coppinger cove 30 minutes away, Coalmont 35-45 minutes away!!!

Can we get into Coppinger cove on 33's still???

Yeah no problem as long as the creek crossings are down. We ran down past the church, down to the cave (which was completely full of water), and then down to Flat Rock and then went out near Whitwell.

Coalmont OHV Park would also be good on 33s sticking to the Green and Blue trails.

Yeah no problem as long as the creek crossings are down. We ran down past the church, down to the cave (which was completely full of water), and then down to Flat Rock and then went out near Whitwell.

Coalmont OHV Park would also be good on 33s sticking to the Green and Blue trails.

Thanks Victor!!! Let us know next time you are coming this way!!!

I'm sure me, @AndyG would like to meet up.

Reactions: gasiorv
Was able to get a few pics.

Iron Gap on the way from TN to AL the water levels were not too bad, but it was raining pretty hard.
iron gap 2024.jpeg

Once we got to the AL exit and turned around we quickly discovered that the water was rising fast:

iron gap 2024 water crossing.jpeg

The Iron Gap Rd hill on the TN side was really slick with all the rain, we had to work it to get up the hill.
iron gap 2024 hill climb.jpeg

The Cove, if anyone knows the cave, that water in the background is the cave. We had a variance in rigs on this trip, JKU on 40's, Land Cruiser on 37s, My TJ and a SxS. The SxS didn't like the water crossings :)
cove cave 2024.jpeg

Cove at Flat Rock:
cove at flat rock 2024.jpg

AOP at night. AOP is the hardest wheeling I have ever done and my buddy is wheeling it in a Land Cruiser, pretty bad ass.
aop LC.jpeg

Back in the cove on Sunday. This was a great trail full of rocks, not going to say where it is in case we weren't supposed to be there :)

sherwin williams 2024.jpeg

A waterfall in the Cove, again not going to say where in case we weren't supposed to be there. Videos never do anything justice and this video doesn't show the big hole at the bottom, still pretty cool though.

Was able to get a few pics.

Iron Gap on the way from TN to AL the water levels were not too bad, but it was raining pretty hard.
View attachment 492500

Once we got to the AL exit and turned around we quickly discovered that the water was rising fast:

View attachment 492499

The Iron Gap Rd hill on the TN side was really slick with all the rain, we had to work it to get up the hill.
View attachment 492498

The Cove, if anyone knows the cave, that water in the background is the cave. We had a variance in rigs on this trip, JKU on 40's, Land Cruiser on 37s, My TJ and a SxS. The SxS didn't like the water crossings :)
View attachment 492497

Cove at Flat Rock:
View attachment 492496

AOP at night. AOP is the hardest wheeling I have ever done and my buddy is wheeling it in a Land Cruiser, pretty bad ass.
View attachment 492495

Back in the cove on Sunday. This was a great trail full of rocks, not going to say where it is in case we weren't supposed to be there :)

View attachment 492501

A waterfall in the Cove, again not going to say where in case we weren't supposed to be there. Videos never do anything justice and this video doesn't show the big hole at the bottom, still pretty cool though.

Been waiting to see you post about that video since I saw you put it on Youtube.