Alaska

Austin O.

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’m going to Alaska with my brother and parents in April. We’ve got about a week that we will be there and will be skiing at Alyeska for probably 3 or 4 of those days (We’re renting a small cabin for the whole week right next to Alyeska). Skiing is the reason that we’re going on the trip, but also looking for some other suggestions on what to do as day trips for the days we aren’t skiing. We’re super active, pretty much up for anything… Anyone who’s visited or even people who live there have any recommendations?

Reactions: Wildman
April is a toss up for weather. It is what we call break up. When the snow is melting. But I've also had good weather for hiking in the spring time.

So definitely some good wet weather boots,

All four of these photos are from the last week of April in various years. The third photo is from May 6th

IMG_4064.jpeg

IMG_4071.jpeg

IMG_5704.jpeg

TH000084.jpeg

• USA Proud
Reactions: Apparition and RINC
April is a toss up for weather. It is what we call break up. When the snow is melting. But I've also had good weather for hiking in the spring time.

So definitely recommend some good wet weather boots,

What glaciers are close enough for a day trip? Any that would be worth it?

Reactions: Austin O.
Exit glacier is in Seward. That was a nice hike. We did that one in late April.

Eklutna lake glacier has receded way to far back. It ends up being an all day hike just to get to the toe if I remember correctly.

We've done Flat top mountain in Anchorage about that time of year too

I’ll second Seward. I was there this past June. Exit Glacier is in Kenai Fjord NP and is a nice hike. On the road back to the NP, there is a trailhead on the right before crossing the Resurrection River…..that’s a very nice trail for an out and back hike. Check with the NP office downtown Seward and see what boats are headed out. They offer 4-8 hour cruises into the NP. The longer cruises take you up a fjord to see a glacier. Great whale watching also. Enjoy your trip!

Mike

April is a weird time up here. The good is that there are few tourists yet but a lot of the touristy things are not in full swing either.

Seward is a good choice to bad the train is not running at that time as it is a great way to catch some scenery. There are boat tours available in April though if that interests you.

If you like driving then a trip to Homer is nice you can soak in a lot of scenery.

Girdwood is an interesting place with a few things to do other than skiing and there is some pretty decent food to be had there as well.

We stayed north of Anchorage in Eagle River then drove up to Denali, but we did go down to Whittier and take a day cruise to a glacier.

We hiked the Matanuska glacier up northeast.

We took a plane and landed on a glacier in Denali. The view was beyond incredible. My photos can't do it justice.

Sorry for the late response! Was traveling!!

April.... Odd time in-between our winter/spring if that's what you want to call it and fish haven't run...

Still can see the northern lights, and not too cold to get some awesome hikes and see wildlife!

Depending on drives I recommend seward for sure. Small coastal fishing town and has some cool hikes like exit glacier.

Talkeetna, awesome town, cool food and views of Denali!!

Whittier, cool town get to go through a single lane tunnel. Lots of history and views.

Hikes.... Basically anywhere you can think of is a hike. Flat top, twin peaks, rabbit lake, rendezvous point, eklutna thunderbird falls, the list is endless!!

Hatcher pass most likely won't be open, but if you can get to independence mine that is always a fun trip!

Hope I could help, but don't hesitate for specific questions.