Alby Mangles - My Jeep Overlanding Hero

Jeepers-n-Creepers

Have mud--will travel.
Supporting Member
For those of you who have yet to discover Alby Mangles; you're in for a treat.

My wife and I discovered him in 1998, as we sojourned right next to the infamous Buxton ("Caper Hatteras") Lighthouse, on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, at the "Tower Circle Motel" (literal rock-throwing distance from the lighthouse).

1543436398708.png

While enjoying the beach and the surf (I had a 7'-6" board and 4mm suit with me at the time, in the Fall), we spent the evenings engrossed in cable TV (very rare for us, as we rarely watch TV), wholly mesmerized by 'round-the-clock re-runs of "Adventure Bound, with Alby Mangles."

Often seen in the early years, in a classic Jeep Grand Wagoneer or CJ-5 (at least 2 different CJ-5's, that I recall); he served as my first serious inspiration to one day do some Overlanding myself - in a Jeep.

1543436821470.png

*Alby and friend, in one of his early CJ-5's.

Laughingly, and just a few hours into discovering Alby via the cable TV in our motel room, we dubbed Alby Mangles as more fittingly, "I'll Be Mangled" - as the poor guy regularly met with a broad range of catastrophies, to include: perpetually burrying his 4x4's, crashing a helicopter, running into a telephone pole in the middle of the desert--in the black of night--at 60mph, losing a beautiful cutty sailboat to a fire while camping on the beach (had to watch it burn and sink), and getting into at least 2 other serious auto accidents (1 of which was that of getting T-boned in the middle of the night while in one of his CJ-5's).

What inspired me most, was and remains his courage and determination to explore; to undertake risks; and his love and compassion for animals and nature in general. What is truly remarkable about Alby, is that most of what he achieved by way of world exploration, came about because no one told him he couldn't do it. And, if they dared to, he'd simply reply, "watch me!"

If you've yet to view the following videos ("Adventure Bound - 1" and "Adventure Bound - 2"), you owe it to yourself to view them:

Adventure Bound - 1

Adventure Bound - 2

There's also an AU-based fan club site, below:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/alcalder2/alby.htm

1543438166984.png

Last edited: