Alignment problems with Currie steering

GeorgeSully

TJ Enthusiast
So I just installed my Currie steering kit but while trying to do an alignment I’ve found that the clamp on the tie rod bumps into the drag link and won’t allow the tie rod to turn all the way around. Ive got the Jeep on jack stands but they are under the axle so it’s at normal ride height. I have a 98 Sahara with no lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96da492f4cccc15d6d2c18747dc4f078.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't the Currie steering need 2" of lift or more to clear? From Currie's website,

"NOTE: This unit is designed to be used on vehicles with 4" of lift. It can be used on vehicles with less lift, but the vehicle must have a minimum of a 2" bump stop (over stock). Also, on vehicles with no lift, 2 of the tie rod ends may need be trimmed to achieve proper adjustment."

Doesn't the Currie steering need 2" of lift or more to clear? From Currie's website,

"NOTE: This unit is designed to be used on vehicles with 4" of lift. It can be used on vehicles with less lift, but the vehicle must have a minimum of a 2" bump stop (over stock). Also, on vehicles with no lift, 2 of the tie rod ends may need be trimmed to achieve proper adjustment."

This is what I was thinking

The currie Steering on my 2004 TJ (4" lift) is the same. I just removed the bolt and nut until I got the alignment like I wanted it. Then replaced the hardware. I put the bolt in so the head was on the side of the drag link of more clearance. I wanted to stay "in the groove" and was successful.

Last edited:
There is a flat spot on the bar that the bolt is supposed to ride in. That is what is keeping it from spinning fully around so it won’t hit the drain link. Use a slightly smaller diameter grade 8 bolt and it will spin freely.