All Terrain vs Mud Terrain for Daily Driver

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey guys!

My TJ is my Daily driver, but I also offroad it as much as I can.

My plan is to run 31" KO2s.

Many people in my local area though have suggested me to run Cooper STT Pro. They have also mentioned that it is not worth it to run an All terrain tire. What should I do?

In general, an A/T performs better on paved roads, wet roads, ice and snow. A M/T performs better in mud and rocks. I would also say that an A/T performs better in mud and rocks than a M/T does on wet roads, snow and ice.

I had AT tires once (BFG). I prefer the look and performance of MT tires offroad for mud , deep snow and everything else. I've never had any problems on the street in any driving conditions (rain, snow, sleet, ice) either. I drive for a living, so I have to drive for hours in all weather conditions or lose my job. I have around 12,000 miles on my current MTs and they still look great.
p.s. The brand of either tire makes a difference too. I bought cheap MTs many years ago and they sucked on and off road. Ridiculously loud too. (Ice, sleet pic below).
Rubi tire1.jpg

Rubi ice 3.jpg

Last edited:
After moving from The Monterey Bay California to the INW Washington state I learned that mud tires absolutely SUCK on snow covered roads
They do look better than AT's but looks don't count for much when your sliding sideways on an icy road
I don't mind the MT's on dry paved roads

Reactions: TJim
Hey guys!

My TJ is my Daily driver, but I also offroad it as much as I can.

My plan is to run 31" KO2s.

Many people in my local area though have suggested me to run Cooper STT Pro. They have also mentioned that it is not worth it to run an All terrain tire. What should I do?

KO2s do well on and off road. Less noise also.

What % is your DD vs off-road use? and what kind of terrain is your off-road use?

higher than 90% on road use, since it is my daily. My off road is limited to some trips with my local Jeep Forum, some weekends and vacations.

My off road use is all kind of terrains. Snow, ice, mud, sand, rocks. Not Rock crawling though.

higher than 90% on road use, since it is my daily. My off road is limited to some trips with my local Jeep Forum, some weekends and vacations.

My off road use is all kind of terrains. Snow, ice, mud, sand, rocks. Not Rock crawling though.
Looks like A/T tires to me.

Reactions: DWR and TJim
Looks like A/T tires to me.
Thats what I believe too.

Some people in my local community are just calling All terrain tires as NO Terrain tires, since they are not so good as Mud terrain off road, and road Tires on road.

Thanks for the answer!

The newer hybrid tires. I think MileStar has one that gets good reviews. The Patagonia. I think they also have different rubber compounds for that series.

But hybrid AT/Mud, would be something to check.

I’m in the same boat, I had cooper stt pros on my ‘12 Tacoma as well as wrangler mt/r. I’ve had the older cooper stt’s on my old ‘93 pick up. and currently have Mickey Thompson Baja mtz on my TJ. I’d like to get 35’s when my 33’s are worn out, and have heard great things about the general grabber x3, but I’m not sure. The comparisons are not accurate because of the differences in vehicles I’ve had them on. I’d say the cooper stt pros were the quietest and Mickey Thompson’s were the loudest, but that’s because of the newer insulated Tacoma vs an 01 wrangler (tent with wheels). I’m in between the grabber x3 and the stt pros and since getting a work truck the mileage is less important from the tire. They’ve all about equally sucked on icy roads.

Last edited:
I have a different perspective. I don’t like looking at % time the rig spends on street vs off road to determine the tires. I would rather look at what you value. Mine is my daily driver and I wheel most every weekend. So obviously it spends more time on the road than off because I take it to work every day. But, my values lie in offroad performance more than on road performance because pushing the limits on the weekend is fun to me. So I ended up with Goodyear MT/Rs. I’ll take the slight increase in road noise all day if it means I can do cool shit on the weekend.

Reactions: rasband and TJim

Some people in my local community are just calling All terrain tires as NO Terrain tires, since they are not so good as Mud terrain off road, and road Tires on road.

Thanks for the answer!
Well, it's not their Jeep

• Haha
You could also look at the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac, an excellent tire for both worlds.
Unfortunately, Goodyear for some reason stopped providing Europe (or at least Greece) with off road tires. I searched for both Duratracs and MTRs and I had no luck.

• Angry
Reactions: CodaMan

Thanks for the answer!

31” ATs they do just fine

49C49FBD-B817-4C10-9253-81BE7F2F98FE.jpeg

Reactions: DaveC