Almost rolled my TJ

Vulture

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So. I'm driving home yesterday going about 30 mph. There is a place on my road where there is an "S" turn in the road as it crosses a creek. As I'm approaching the curve, some good citizen in a jacked up white Silverado is coming at me through the S. He is clearly staring at his cell phone. I can tell this because you can't even see his face because of the phone. He utterly fails to straighten out from the last turn of the S, crosses the centerline still staring at his cell. Drives straight into my lane, straight at my TJ. Now this all happened pretty fast. Having no other real option, I instinctively yanked the wheel for a right turn. Now....I've had my TJ for a couple of years and have never had to make any kind of sudden direction change before so even though I know intellectually that our jeeps are short, tall, unstable non-sports-car vehicles, the resulting ride focused my entire attention down to a single fine point. What you might call a singularity. Here's what happened;
Yanked wheel to the right
Tj makes violent, heart stopping 400-g turn to the right.
Shithead in Silverado passes with whole microns of space to spare.
I'm quite sure we're up on 2 wheels now.
Bladder contracts with great violence, emptying the remainder of last nights beer, this mornings orange juice, and the 2 cokes I drank in the afternoon into my drawers.
I (in full, uncontrolled abject Panic) yank the wheel to the left to correct for the 2-wheel balancing act.
Jeep complies with much aggressiveness, resulting in another up-on-2-wheels dart to the left.
Sphincter spasms, discharging the remains of a Big Mac, my breakfast and most of last nights burrito into my already soaking drawers.
I now become a violently flailing passenger, miserably behind events and yet futilely still attempting to bring the TJ under control.
Tj, after a series of incredible fishtails finally comes to a stop, miraculously upright and undamaged.
Driver (me), heart pounding, entire body shaking from the adrenaline dump, takes a deep breath and stares out the windows with great wonder that my jeep is not bent, is still right side up and that I am not dead.
Driver (me) runs through every single cuss word he knows twice and invents 4 new ones to describe people who drive and stare at their phones.
Now,...I'm not really sure that the Tj was in fact up on 2 wheels but it sure felt like it and the skid marks in my pants seem to confirm it.
PLEASE do not use your cell phone when you drive. It's unnecessary, stupid, dangerous and irresponsible.
Thanks for hearing me out and be careful out there, people are stupid.

Wow, that’s quite a ride. Glad you’re ok as well. I’m new to my TJ as well, but have experience racing on road courses. It’s a much different driving experience in a TJ, but I’ve wondered if some of the principles carry over for emergency maneuvers.

One of the biggest being an evasive maneuver or skid correction. If done correctly it’s more of a quick flick turn of the wheel and quickly back to straight vs a turn and hold.

Not sure how that would hold up in a TJ!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep owners are fairly timid drivers when they get them lifted because they can't handle the increased body roll. I take them for rides in their rigs frequently to show them that with rare exception, the rig will slide out long before it tips over. It usually takes about 15 seconds into the drive before they have the grab handle on the roll bar gripped firmly in one hand and the other trying to squeeze finger dents into the oh shit handle on the dash. Jeeps don't tip very easily.

Following a guy home last night all over the motorway (freeway) in the fast lane and yep as I under-took him he's texting...so I beeped at him only to get the finger in reply....just shock my head and drove on.
dog (2).jpg

Reactions: PoohPoohCavalio
Okay, putting aside all the stunt driving tactics to avoid being slammed by mister "Lost in Technology" and the subsequent eviction of the contents of some of your internal organs, there is another aspect of this that I've often pondered: What would have happened had you been hit head-on? I know our TJ's have airbags, and that they're a full-framed vehicle (not necessarily a benefit if you believe all the engineers and safety nuts, but I stubbornly choose my own truths and realities in such issues), but how would it have fared against a larger vehicle hitting it at the speeds you and he were travelling? I don't know that I've ever even seen a picture of a CJ/YJ/TJ after being involved in such a collision. I'd like to assume that the TJ's airbags would help you survive such an ordeal, but man...a TJ is a fairly small rig when compared to a full-size Generic Motors pickup. Anywho...just a thought. Not sure if you're a believer, or not, but I'd have to say that I agree with @lxxtsy. Take care, my friend.

*I also wonder if the idiot behind the wheel of the truck ever even realized what had just gone down...?

Reactions: JP13
I’ve thought about the same Squatch. Would someone in a TJ be better off in a rollover or head on. It’s probably going to come down to speed of both vehicles, but I’d think at high speed your survival rate would be higher in a head on (hopefully glancing) given the weight of a TJ and the likelihood of a beefy aftermarket bumper up front.

I’m a tall guy and wouldn’t expect the seat belt to keep my head off the pavement/ground in a rollover.

Reactions: Squatch and Kiwi TJ
I doubt the other guy even knew, sounds like he was too engrossed in his phone. As for being a crash test dummy, I try not to think about it too much.. lol although it does become very clear when a big old school Kenworth passes me on the freeway lol

I’ve thought about the same Squatch. Would someone in a TJ be better off in a rollover or head on. It’s probably going to come down to speed of both vehicles, but I’d think at high speed your survival rate would be higher in a head on (hopefully glancing) given the weight of a TJ and the likelihood of a beefy aftermarket bumper up front.

I’m a tall guy and wouldn’t expect the seat belt to keep my head off the pavement/ground in a rollover.

Given the weight difference between a TJ and any given Brodozer out there...and the total energy and accelerations involved in a head on between the two- I'll take my chances on rolling the TJ.

Given the weight difference between a TJ and any given Brodozer out there...and the total energy and accelerations involved in a head on between the two- I'll take my chances on rolling the TJ.
Just keep you hands on that steering wheel and ....
safe.jpg

Man that rear seat face bounce off the soft top bar didn’t look pretty...

Reactions: JP13
I deal with this kind of shit daily. I ride a liter bike (R1) and actually feel safer on it then in my TJ. I personally take different longer routes for safety just to stay clear of dangerous areas and driving Douche bags. It makes me mad how some people can take driving so lightly and not realize they are in control of a 5k lb weapon.

Sorry to hear about this. It makes me angry because I have been there before, and it sucks.

Glad you are OK.

By the way I get in trouble all of the time because I don't join bridges or meetings while driving. I don't even tell them I am not going to join till I get somewhere not driving. I don't even take hands free calls.

I once was talking to a lady at work that says she talks on the phone all of the time and she drives great. My only response was no you don't! You know like your inebriated grandpa says he can drive just as good drunk!

I deal with this kind of shit daily. I ride a liter bike (R1) and actually feel safer on it then in my TJ. I personally take different longer routes for safety just to stay clear of dangerous areas and driving Douche bags. It makes me mad how some people can take driving so lightly and not realize they are in control of a 5k lb weapon.

Sorry to hear about this. It makes me angry because I have been there before, and it sucks.

Glad you are OK.

By the way I get in trouble all of the time because I don't join bridges or meetings while driving. I don't even tell them I am not going to join till I get somewhere not driving. I don't even take hands free calls.

I once was talking to a lady at work that says she talks on the phone all of the time and she drives great. My only response was no you don't! You know like your inebriated grandpa says he can drive just as good drunk!
That's what they think....because they're "drunk".

Reactions: DETOUR and ac_