Alternatives for foam piece between radiator and A/C condenser

nk24

307 ► 602
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I replaced my radiator today and noticed that the old radiator had a small piece of foam that was between the radiator and the A/C condenser. I found the rest of the foam at the bottom of the radiator among a pile of leaves and dirt.

I’d like to replace this part because it seems it would help to keep out debris and force the air to go through the radiator. However, this part has been discontinued (55036369AB).

Has anyone found a good alternative?

C043A6F3-829B-48EC-B6A5-3D2D7FA40A2F.jpeg

I'd think the type of foam you'd find in a pool noodle toy would work just fine.

Reactions: nk24
I'd think the type of foam you'd find in a pool noodle toy would work just fine.
I like that idea, especially because I have some old pool noodles in the garage. I might even be able to do it without adhesive by cutting it just a hair larger than the opening and wedging it in.

I like that idea, especially because I have some old pool noodles in the garage. I might even be able to do it without adhesive by cutting it just a hair larger than the opening and wedging it in.

That's the first thing that came to my mind. Those things are cheap as hell (you have free ones), you can wedge it in, and the foam seems like it would be similar.

I would think a pool noodle might melt some. I don't know, maybe not.

I was thinking some of that thick foam that you in hardware stores where you get door seals, etc. Who knows, it might melt too. :D

I replaced my radiator today and noticed that the old radiator had a small piece of foam that was between the radiator and the A/C condenser. I found the rest of the foam at the bottom of the radiator among a pile of leaves and dirt.

I’d like to replace this part because it seems it would help to keep out debris and force the air to go through the radiator. However, this part has been discontinued (55036369AB).

Has anyone found a good alternative?

View attachment 113155
Off topic but what radiator is that? It doesn’t look like the stock one.

About a month ago I found my original foam-like piece somewhat bent and hanging down between the radiator and the A/C condenser. When I tried to straighten it up it just crumbled.

Then I found a left over piece of foam-like pipe insulation, cut a strip off , left it thick enough to squeeze into place and used it's taped edge to help hold it in there. Last week I found it somewhat bent, and melted, and also hanging down between the radiator and the A/C condenser.

I'm not sure if the pool noodle is any better material but probably not. I had thought about somehow installing some plastic/rubber/something but since my TJ hasn't ever overheated, even in 45 minutes of stopped traffic on an 85 degree sunny day, I'm not too worried about it. I will be checking this thread to see if the pool noodles, or anything else, will work.

Reactions: nk24