Alternator housing crack

namunyoska

I noticed a crack on my Jeep's alternator and wondering what the side effects of not replacing it are. It hasn't given me any issues since I bought it 500 miles or so ago. An off road shop told me they didn't know what would happen if it broke, said maybe a fire. Is it worth replacing?
alternator.jpeg

Maybe a fire. Maybe an earthquake. Who knows, maybe Covid-20.

Seriously, I'd just drive it and take another close look at it when I get where I'm going. I'd probably check the next few times I drove it to see if it gets worse. If it seemed to stay the same I'd check it every couple days, then once a week.

If/when it starts looking worse I'd plan on getting a replacement.

Maybe a fire. Maybe an earthquake. Who knows, maybe Covid-20.

Seriously, I'd just drive it and take another close look at it when I get where I'm going. I'd probably check the next few times I drove it to see if it gets worse. If it seemed to stay the same I'd check it every couple days, then once a week.

If/when it starts looking worse I'd plan on getting a replacement.
I'd rather it result in a fire than Covid-20. At least that way I know I can't take it off road / to parks because I have no Jeep vs. having a Jeep and not being able to go anywhere.

I'm thinking a 1500 mile roundtrip. Might be fine but don't know when the crack started / how sturdy it still is.

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ
I'd rather it result in a fire than Covid-20. At least that way I know I can't take it off road / to parks because I have no Jeep vs. having a Jeep and not being able to go anywhere.

I'm thinking a 1500 mile roundtrip. Might be fine but don't know when the crack started / how sturdy it still is. Jeep has 125k on dash

If there is a catastrophic failure which likely will happen eventually it could easily take out the main alternator bracket and you do not want to source that part so I would replace it sooner than later.

Reactions: Daryl
X2. Change it and while your at it, check all the componets that run off the serpentene belt. ( belt too). It might fend off future problems.😎

That crack looks to me like it's on the lower alternator mount bracket. The bracket is made of magnesium and cannot be repaired, you will need to find a replacement. I have seen these online even billet ones I believe out of Arizona

I agree with Txbuck. That looks like the mount and not the alternator. I’d get at it with a pick or something and see how deep. If it’s shiny, it’s usually new.

I agree with Txbuck. That looks like the mount and not the alternator. I’d get at it with a pick or something and see how deep. If it’s shiny, it’s usually new.
That crack looks like it’s on the alternator to me and I agree about replacing it asap. If it fails it could cause collateral damage to a lot of other components and if your luck is anything like mine, it will fail at the worst possible time.