Alternator pulley

I’ve had a screaming coming from what I believe is the alternator pulley. Whines louder at higher revs and is constant while at idle but will stop every once in a while. Is there a way to replace just the pulley itself or do I need new alternator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is a slipping belt the pulley could be worn out. Make sure it is still V shaped and not U shaped. You don’t say what year model you have. If you need to replace the pulley sometimes you can spin them off with an impact wrench. Not always. Be aware they can make an electrical noise as well that is sometimes mistaken for screeching belts or bad bearings. Have the ripple current checked to make sure it’s not out of phase.

Reactions: Chris
If it is a slipping belt the pulley could be worn out. Make sure it is still V shaped and not U shaped. You don’t say what year model you have. If you need to replace the pulley sometimes you can spin them off with an impact wrench. Not always. Be aware they can make an electrical noise as well that is sometimes mistaken for screeching belts or bad bearings. Have the ripple current checked to make sure it’s not out of phase.

I’ve been gone for a while I’m sorry, but the pulley stills looks V shaped and I have a 4.0 2001 tj. I tested the alternator and battery and everything checks out. But my battery voltage on the gauge on the dash is reading high at over 14.