Am I asking too much for my TJ?

Tscott

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have an ad on Facebook Marketplace for my TJ, but wonder if I priced it a little high. Here is what it says:

2004 Jeep Wrangler X with the 4.0, 6 cylinder engine with a 5-speed manual transmission at 106,000 miles. Within the last year I've installed a new clutch, new rear main seal, new Rancho 5000x Shocks, replaced all the fluids, service the transmission and transfer case, replace the catalytic converter, new carpet, BFG ko2 tires, new oxygen sensors and new fender flares. $13,500.

I know I won't get back what I have in it, but it is time to sell.

On a final note, I've learned a lot from you guys and am a little sad I won't be part of the community.

Reactions: Midwest
Doesn't seem outrageous to me. I paid $9k for my '99 with 116k miles and it needed a bit of work.

Why are you selling it?

Why are you selling it?

guessing because maybe:

Within the last year I've installed a new clutch, new rear main seal, new Rancho 5000x Shocks, replaced all the fluids, service the transmission and transfer case, replace the catalytic converter, new carpet, BFG ko2 tires, new oxygen sensors and new fender flares.

Guessing it depends upon what the going prices are in Texas....
Here is So Cal that price wouldn't be out of line....

+1

The only way to know is to look at what similar Jeeps are selling for in your area. Take into consideration the miles, options, and condition. Pricing is very area specific. TJs are in high demand in my area, and they rust out very quickly. Even rusty ones are selling for $10k+. I bought mine and had it shipped from California, and it was still cheaper than some of the severely rotted ones here in the NorthEast.

When I worked in Auto insurance, we based totaled vehicle values on what similar vehicles were selling for in the same area.

Also keep in mind that the higher the price, the less of a buying audience you have, especially for a 16 year old vehicle (harder to get a loan), so you will have to be patient and wait a bit longer to find the right buyer.

I'd say the price is a bit high. Without knowing much more, I think a starting price in the $11.5k to $12.5k would be better. There will always be those buyers that quote KBB and will try to get you much lower than where the actual market is at.

I have an ad on Facebook Marketplace for my TJ, but wonder if I priced it a little high. Here is what it says:

2004 Jeep Wrangler X with the 4.0, 6 cylinder engine with a 5-speed manual transmission at 106,000 miles. Within the last year I've installed a new clutch, new rear main seal, new Rancho 5000x Shocks, replaced all the fluids, service the transmission and transfer case, replace the catalytic converter, new carpet, BFG ko2 tires, new oxygen sensors and new fender flares. $13,500.

On a final note, I've learned a lot from you guys and am a little sad I won't be part of the community.
Start there in my opinion

I think its High. its an X, so you have less than desirable axles, its factory (sometime a good thing, sometimes not) and you won't get your repair costs back out. That stuff just helps it sell easier. FWIW, I paid 9800 for my 04 Rubicon. Little bit of rust, 20K more miles, but a lot more "good stuff"

I'd think 11 or so would be a good sale price. Maybe start around 11.5 or 12.

Seems high to me. I got my 2005 X 6 speed for 8k a little over a year ago, rolled 110k miles on the way home. I got an outstanding deal I feel like but I didn't have a list of repairs like yours. I'm not sure that list of repairs is worth 5k to me though lol

I’d put that on Autotrader and Craigslist too.

It’s not out of line, people hunt for Texas Jeeps, and a LOT of people cancelled their vacations and are putting money into toys.

It’s all up to you, if you’re in a hurry, you can motivate people with a lower number.
I’d list and leave it. People will make offers if they’re interested.
Its also less than a month from Dove Season, then full on hunting season, guys will be looking, especially for ones maintained.

Last edited:
I would roll with the current listing too, can always drop the price if you need to move it faster. Be clear if it OBO and see what they offer. If rust free make it know and share pics to prove it, us rust belt guys get giddy over that.

Reactions: reddvltj and Fonz54
Seems high to me. Here in Arkansas I got my 03 Rubicon with 95xxx for $11. I see sports and Xs listed for 9500 all day long with 100,000 plus.

Seems high to me. Here in Arkansas I got my 03 Rubicon with 95xxx for $11. I see sports and Xs listed for 9500 all day long with 100,000 plus.

Jesus, I should have waited to buy when I move!!! You can’t touch a Rubicon here in Oregon for much less than $15k.....and that is usually beat on too.

Reactions: reddvltj

I would say it's a bit high since you really need to write down any upgrades, mods, ownership history and highlights.
1. Any lift? How high? Brand of lift?
2. Soft top only or does it come with hardtop too? Top age and condition? Full doors, half doors,? Etc holes or leaks in top?
3. Model X: axles? Dana30 fronts dana? Rears?
4. Lockers?
5. Gears?
6. T-Case stock or changed?
7. Car fax history? How many owners?
8. How far back does your records on maintenance goes? Do you have receipts?
9 ac?
10. Abs?
11. Rims brand?
12. Any rust in frame? Would need to be Spotless for $13.5k
Asking for $13.5 I would expect more detail and at least a good hardtop with that price.

This falls under an enthusiast vehicle. It may take a month or more to sell it. It isn’t like a $2,000 corolla that sells in a week.

Man I am jealous of the prices West of the Mississippi. The Jeeps in my area are stupid expensive. Anything with less than 200k miles you can expect to pay over 9k-10k and if its a rubicon just go ahead and get 15k-18k ready regardless of condition. We hardly see any with less than 120k miles around here too. Also YJ's are all around 5k-7k no matter mileage and year or engine.