An opinion on TJ SE models

I was born in 1960, so I just made it into the "boomer" category. I'm proud of it.

I can do 70 mph (@3000rpms), but usually I'm doing between 65 & 70. That's the Jeep's and my comfort zone driving it. And it'll do it all day long.

Back to the 2.5 vs. 4.0 debate (it gets old after a while - this has been beaten to death). It is all about expectation management. You can't expect to put 35" tires on a TJ with either engine & stock gearing and expect it to be a slingshot on the highway. I certainly don't expect my 2.5 to drive and handle like my half-ton Dodge 4x4 with a V-8 engine.

With the TJ I expect to have to downshift on long uphills; I expect to lose power in high elevations when pulling a trailer, and I figure I'm going to get passed on the highway a lot more than I'm doing the passing. And that's ok (that's just how it is, and I'm good with it); I'm enjoying driving a nicely built TJ. I expect it to get me where I'm going (proper gearing goes a long way). And I expect it to be a beast off-road (which it is).

If you think the 2.5 or any TJ engine sucks, then don't buy one. It is that simple (for you folks out there that don't seem to get it). Quit whining like little babies. Please, don't buy one, and then complain about them - that is just stupid on your part. If you don't like it, either swap the engine out for a V-8 (which is expensive and above most folk's skill level if they're honest about themselves) or sell it.

Jeeping off road.jpg

100_1826.jpg

Last edited:
I have an se with 35’s and stock gearing, guess what, everyone else on the road hates me because it struggles to get up to 60 flat let alone 65, but you know what, I still love it none the less, I think the hate it gets is semi understandable but that doesn’t mean you can’t do what you would do to other jeeps to it, you just need to be realistic about your expectations.

You can't expect to put 35" tires on a TJ with either engine & stock gearing and expect it to be a slingshot on the highway.

With the TJ I expect to have to downshift on long uphills; I expect to lose power in high elevations when pulling a trailer, and I figure I'm going to get passed on the highway a lot more than I'm doing the passing. And that's ok (that's just how it is); I'm enjoying driving a nicely built TJ. I expect it to get me where I'm going. And I expect it to be a beast off-road (which it is).
Well said and on point.
Sometimes i speechlessly read through discussions on this topics and cant figure out what is going on in peoples head.

It's a Jeep, if I wanted to go 100mph I could do it, but I'd much rather buy a Ferrari or soup up a ricer.

With the TJ I expect to have to downshift on long uphills; I expect to lose power in high elevations when pulling a trailer, and I figure I'm going to get passed on the highway a lot more than I'm doing the passing. And that's ok (that's just how it is, and I'm good with it); I'm enjoying driving a nicely built TJ. I expect it to get me where I'm going (proper gearing goes a long way). And I expect it to be a beast off-road (which it is).
I expect to downshift on long uphills regardless of what I'm driving. My TJ has the most powerful engine of any vehicle I've ever owned, although my '87 F-250 6.9 with Banks Turbo may have been close (but more torque) one way or another. I really don't like going faster than about 65, although I'll do 70 here in Florida. On my drive out from Commiefornia, there were several states where the limit was 75, so I did 75 - but that was in my old Mercedes which would do that - or more - all day long.

Apparently, "modern drivers" EXPECT to maintain speed regardless of hills, conditions, or load. Its their money and their gasoline - I'm just as happy to gear down and give the vehicle its head. If it wants to go over the pass at 35, I'll let it and be completely content to do so.

I too was born in 1960. My parents didn't own a truck with an automatic transmission until my dad reluctantly bought a '78 1 ton Chevy truck with one because his knees were giving out. It replaced their '63 GMC 1 ton (against which all other trucks are measured) which was built to haul a cabover camper while pulling a 33 ft. house trailer - and pulled a 29ft. fifth wheel in its later years. With 165 HP. It didn't blast over hills like the modern ones do, but it would pull anything anywhere in 3rd gear! Too bad about all that rust...

I was born in 1960, so I just made it into the "boomer" category. I'm proud of it.

I can do 70 mph (@3000rpms), but usually I'm doing between 65 & 70. That's the Jeep's and my comfort zone driving it. And it'll do it all day long.

Back to the 2.5 vs. 4.0 debate (it gets old after a while - this has been beaten to death). It is all about expectation management. You can't expect to put 35" tires on a TJ with either engine & stock gearing and expect it to be a slingshot on the highway. I certainly don't expect my 2.5 to drive and handle like my half-ton Dodge 4x4 with a V-8 engine.

If you think the 2.5 or any TJ engine sucks, then don't buy one. It is that simple (for you folks out there that don't seem to get it). Quit whining like little babies. Please, don't buy one, and then complain about them - that is just stupid on your part. If you don't like it, either swap the engine out for a V-8 (which is expensive and above most folk's skill level if they're honest about themselves) or sell it.

View attachment 307972

View attachment 307980

How is that heavier flywheel working out for you? I haven't caught any updates lately so am curious.

This is the part we're referring to:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/centerf...rangler-yj-tj-jeep-cherokee-25l-engine-700478
I think it helped a bit, especially if slow crawling. I'm glad I did it. I'm still trying to figure out if it helps on the highway (I thinking it does), but my TJ has so much weight added to it (including three-ply sidewall E-rated 33" tires but I'm running 4.88 gears) that it is hard to tell. Too much time passed between when I last drove the Jeep before I added the heavier flywheel (waiting for parts) that I never got to do any before-and-after tests (like how long on a familiar uphill grade before I have to downshift).

Starting out from a stop I don't notice any difference in getting up to speed.

My recommendation to folks considering a heavier flywheel like this is... don't do it unless you're already in there replacing the clutch. If you're having to replace the clutch, then consider replacing the flywheel with this heavier flywheel. It isn't cheap (around $500 just for the flywheel depending on where you can find one).

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman
This is the part we're referring to:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/centerf...rangler-yj-tj-jeep-cherokee-25l-engine-700478
I think it helped a little bit, especially if slow crawling. I'm glad I did it. I'm still trying to figure out if it helps on the highway (I think it does), but my TJ has so much weight added to it (including three-ply E-rated 33" tires & 4.88 gears) that it is hard to tell. Too much time passed between when I last drove the Jeep before I added the heavier flywheel that I never got to do any before-and-after tests (like how long on a familiar uphill grade before I have to downshift).

Starting out from a stop I don't notice any difference in getting up to speed.

My recommendation to folks considering a heavier flywheel like this is... don't do it unless you're already in there replacing the clutch. If you're having to replace the clutch, then consider replacing the flywheel with this heavier flywheel. It isn't cheap.
So as soon as I finished typing the above, I headed out to my mother-in-law's for dinner. Figure about 45 miles to her place, with about 30 miles of that on the highway. Picture I've merged onto the highway and am cruising along with the flow of traffic (& listening to light 70's rock on Pandora because I'm a boomer), and I'm thinking about what I had recently posted, and I looked down to see how fast I was going. I was doing 75. Jeep's just cruising right along. And I stayed between 65 and 75 (just going with traffic flow) till I got off the highway. I'd pass someone sometimes who was going too slow.

So anyways, I think the heavier flywheel really does help on the highway too. I was paying attention to it on the way home, and yup; I think it makes a good difference. Less downshifting going up hills (I think none actually either there or back).

It (heavier flywheel) is expensive, and if you're paying someone to install it it'll obviously be even more. But something to consider, especially if you're having to change out the clutch and you're already in there. I'm glad I did it.

Last edited:
So as soon as I finished typing the above, I headed out to my mother-in-law's for dinner. Figure about 45 miles to her place, with about 30 miles of that on the highway. Picture I've merged onto the highway and am cruising along with the flow of traffic (& listening to light 70's rock on Pandora because I'm a boomer), and I'm thinking about what I had recently posted, and I looked down to see how fast I was going. I was doing 75. Jeep's just cruising right along. And I stayed between 65 and 75 (just going with traffic flow) till I got off the highway. I'd pass someone sometimes who was going too slow.

So anyways, I think the heavier flywheel really does help on the highway too. I was paying attention to it on the way home, and yup; I think it makes a good difference. Less downshifting going up hills (I think none actually either there or back).

It (heavier flywheel) is expensive, and if you're paying someone to install it it'll obviously be even more. But something to consider, especially if you're having to change out the clutch and you're already in there. I'm glad I did it.

When Tri-Gear was around and had their inertia ring it was a little easier. I had to replace my clutch so I'd bought the inertia ring at one point. And yes I noticed a difference on the highway on the drive between my place and going to the Seattle VA. Going over Snoqualmie pass was a little easier but just like you I found I liked it more off-road.
Thanks for the update.

When Tri-Gear was around and had their inertia ring it was a little easier. I had to replace my clutch so I'd bought the inertia ring at one point. And yes I noticed a difference on the highway on the drive between my place and going to the Seattle VA. Going over Snoqualmie pass was a little easier but just like you I found I liked it more off-road.
Thanks for the update.
Yeah too bad Tri County is not around I should have bought one when I had the chance.

Reactions: Wildman