Angled / offset ball joints?

npalmi88

So, I brought my TJ to get an alignment a while back and while they were doing that they brought up the fact that I need to get an adjustable rear track bar to get the thrust angle right, fine, I had already planned on doing that. (Didn't let them, it's on the list)

Then they said in order to get the lift I have correctly aligned (4" old man emu springs and 1" body lift) they needed to add some drop brackets to my front lower control arms (I'm going to be installing a RuffStuff long arm kit, so I declined)

And in order to get it all REALLY right they needed to install ball joints with "the proper angle to them" and I "can't just use ANY ball joints with my - 4 INCH LIFT"......

Now, I'm no master mechanic and I don't know a super duper amount, but I have NEVER heard of such a thing. Is this a thing? And I cant understand how simply lifting my TJ would change the independent angle of my ball joints in the first place.

Was I being bullshitted or is this actually a thing? Thanks for any input.

It is a thing - but not needed whatsoever. Offset ball joints are mostly a gimmick or solution to an issue 99% don’t encounter.
Not a gimmick in the least. It is a solution everyone who snivels about not enough caster affecting return to center should avail themselves of. 1.5 degree lower all the way forward, 1.5 degree upper all the way back, BAM, 3 more degrees of caster.

Not a gimmick in the least. It is a solution everyone who snivels about not enough caster affecting return to center should avail themselves of. 1.5 degree lower all the way forward, 1.5 degree upper all the way back, BAM, 3 more degrees of caster.
Ah. Learn something new every day. Who makes the best ones?

I think what they were actually telling you is to never take your Jeep, or any other car, there to be worked on. Even if you know exactly what is needed, they may still not do it right.

I should have mentioned what I said was due to this:

...they needed to add some drop brackets to my front lower control arms...

followed by two "ands":
And in order to get it all REALLY right they needed to install ball joints with "the proper angle to them" and I "can't just use ANY ball joints with my - 4 INCH LIFT"...

As mrblaine points out, offset ball joints can definitely help caster when done in the right direction but seeing three suggestions like that in a row just look like some sales gimmick to me. I'm not saying it would happen but I wouldn't be surprised to see some other things be suggested while that work was being done. "While we're doing that, we can also do this, along with this and this. Your Jeep needs that stuff too," (and we need your credit card).

I should have mentioned what I said was due to this:

followed by two "ands":

As mrblaine points out, offset ball joints can definitely help caster when done in the right direction but seeing three suggestions like that in a row just look like some sales gimmick to me. I'm not saying it would happen but I wouldn't be surprised to see some other things be suggested while that work was being done. "While we're doing that, we can also do this, along with this and this. Your Jeep needs that stuff too," (and we need your credit card).

This shop has been pretty straight forward and knowledgable in the past, but all I've gone in for were basic $100 toe alignments after I've screwed something up in the backyard garage. It did kind of seem like what you're suggesting, which is why I wanted to know if I REALLY needed these things.

Considering I'll be installing a long arm kit, would it even still be necessary afterwards?

I think you might have bigger problems to deal with after you put in a long arm kit from what I've read on forums. But best of luck. Try to document and photograph the install for us and keep us posted.

If your camber is out of spec by much over 1 degree, you will have un-even wear across larger tires. This will produce increased road noise. If you C Bracket is bent, they are one of the few easy solutions to correcting it.
Can you have perfect C's and have incorrect camber with nothing bent?

This shop has been pretty straight forward and knowledgable in the past, but all I've gone in for were basic $100 toe alignments after I've screwed something up in the backyard garage. It did kind of seem like what you're suggesting, which is why I wanted to know if I REALLY needed these things.

Considering I'll be installing a long arm kit, would it even still be necessary afterwards?
i wouldnt mention long arms here . the pitch forks come out lol found that out the hard way