Annihil8ted's 98 TJ Sahara 4.0

annihil8ted

Hello! Thought I'd document my TJ story when another member here asked if I had one.

I first bought the TJ back in June.

Here are some photos from the seller

1692373337276.png

1692373357534.png

1692373370611.png

Initial impressions were pretty good; I had crawled under and I couldn't identify anything majorly wrong (this here is foreshadowing 🙃).

It looked like the TJ had sat for a while but VIN and history all checked out. Interior looked really nice, dusty but that's easily remedied.

For the test drive, it was a little bit bumpy between the suspension in dire need of a refresh and the transmission clunking during on and off throttle.

In all honestly, I was a little too eager to get a jeep and probably should have negotiated lower but I decided to take a chance and became the owner of a TJ!

I didn't get very far though before I had a blow out from the tires. Tires from 2018 but were pretty dry rotted. It's okay, I had planned to replace anyways but I got my first taste of using the spare carrier.

1692373718755.jpeg

With the spare mounted, I made it back to my home and started to prepare it for inspection.

The TJ looks pretty good sitting in my garage!

1692374527929.jpeg

Here's the TJ with it's younger siblings
1692374650243.png

First and foremost was oil change. The oil that came out looked relatively fresh which gave me a good feeling. I went with Quaker Synthetic 10W-30 and an oversized filter ( I know there's not much difference but it made me feel a little bit better with the bigger filter.

I then checked the air box and air filter; it all looked clean, even new so I left it be.

Afterwards, I topped off the coolant and wiper fluid which were a little low and also made sure I had proper amounts of blinker fluids.

At the time, the brakes were a little spongy but I looked in the reservoir and it seemed to be decently filled so I left it be. More on this later though.

With that, I took her off to get it inspected and after hearing the service guy rip the brakes hard in the parking lot, I was handed back the key and a clean inspection bill. Awesome!

With a TJ, I feel it's a never ending build/fix process so next on the list was refreshing the suspensions which revealed a lot more issues than I had bargained for, specifically rust.

Due to circumstances, I just wanted to restore the TJ to the bare minimal OE functionality before any upgrades so I went with cheap Monroe OE shocks. All 4 cost me only $80 as at the time I wasn't ready to go with SkyJackers.

The install was pretty straightforward, just lots of rust so plenty of PB Blaster, wire wheel, and patience. I also bought new hardware and used anti-seize to make sure the next time I changed them out would be easier.

Changing out the shocks was desperately needed as before, the TJ wouldn't stop bounce and afterwards, it made it feel like a modern car. Turns felt a lot more stable.

This also revealed some shocking details too:
1692374896493.jpeg

1692374910538.jpeg

Yup, my rear springs and spring mounts are all pretty much disintegrated so I've added both of those to my list of todo. I have all replacement parts on hand, just waiting for my buddy's shop to free up or a cost effective shop.

In the meanwhile, I set to refurbishing the front end sway bar bushings, sway bar bushing brackets, sway bar links, and sway bar. Long story short, took all parts off, wire wheel, soak in evaporust, hit with rust reformer spray, and then finally a rattle can of black paint. I also took the time to tap the threads to make sure that the were clean and ready for new hardware. The assembly was straightforward and a quick and short local drive near me showed massive improvements. I don't have many photos but here are some I took along the way

1692375245456.jpeg

I'm currently now in the middle of replacing the transmission mount. Prior, the catch point always seemed to float around and I would hear clunking on and off power so I guess the transmission mount has gone. I was right though as taking off the mount I found this:
1692375294726.jpeg

I feel like that's pretty bad but I also feel good knowing that this is almost certainly where the clunking and transmission issues are coming from. While I had the skid plate removed, my next plans are to changing out the transmission and transfer case fluids. I'm going with 10W-30 for the AX-15 and any ATF+4 for the 231 transfer case.

I'm pretty sure I saw this one on FB Marketplace, was like $6500 or $7k. Although after seeing those shock mounts I have high anxiety about the condition of your frame. If you ever need help, I'm just up the road a bit.

Reactions: annihil8ted
Maybe the seller change his price or it was a different one but the price I was sold to it for was about half of that :) My logic is worse case scenario, I can part it out and not lose too much. For 6.5-7K I would have definitely walked alway. Actually, for about 7K, I would have picked up an LJ in the area. I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on that!

Thanks, I really appreciate that a lot!

Yeah the TJ is definitely not seeing any real miles or even around town any time soon. I was assured by a couple of shops that while I was in dire need of new springs and spring mounts, the frame is still safe to drive. Still, I don't really want to test that out until some more repairs are made. The rear axle is pretty bad but I managed to get my hands on a good Dana 35 so I'll do a swap eventually. The only thing that gives me pause is it's geared 4.10 and I'm fairly certain I have the standard 3.55 in the front.

Seems like the last couple of owners took decent care. Especially for being a Northeast Jeep for what seems like most of its life, there's a lot less rust than I had anticipated. It's all confined quite low and really just the rear. It's going to be a long term project so I'm excited and if a better deals comes, at least now I'll have some spared haha

Maybe the seller change his price or it was a different one but the price I was sold to it for was about half of that :) My logic is worse case scenario, I can part it out and not lose too much. For 6.5-7K I would have definitely walked alway. Actually, for about 7K, I would have picked up an LJ in the area. I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on that!

Thanks, I really appreciate that a lot!

Yeah the TJ is definitely not seeing any real miles or even around town any time soon. I was assured by a couple of shops that while I was in dire need of new springs and spring mounts, the frame is still safe to drive. Still, I don't really want to test that out until some more repairs are made. The rear axle is pretty bad but I managed to get my hands on a good Dana 35 so I'll do a swap eventually. The only thing that gives me pause is it's geared 4.10 and I'm fairly certain I have the standard 3.55 in the front.

If you got that for $3k and the frame isn't rotted, then I'm on board with you. The ratio being different only matters if you're in 4WD. Or just remove the front driveshaft until you can make them match if you want total peace of mind.

With the condition of those spring perches etc I would be actively looking for new axles anyway. Me and another guy in McKinney did our first gear swap/setup this spring, so if you want to go down that road I'm sure we'd be down to help.

Thank you!

From what I understand, the frame is starting to show some rust issues but according to a few shops I've taken it to, it's still safely drivable. That being said, I do have a donor frame that I have reserved and whenever that frees up (plus cooler weather), I'll probably do a frame swap for peace of mind. Need to replace all the frame/tub bushing anyways

Yeah I have a complete "new" axle. It was sold to me cheap but checks out and until I feel more confident with the jeep as a whole, I'm going to pause on major upgrade. I would love to down the line do a lift with bigger tires.

The perches on the new axel is in great condition. Only surface rust which one of these days, I'd going to strip down and rust treat it. As for the frame perches, I'm thinking this would be a good time to replace and also move their location for better angles. Especially if later down the line I do a lift. I have a welder actually but my new place doesn't have the right plug so that'll wait for a bit haha

How did the gear swap go? I've been studying up and for the most part it seems doable but I'm curious about the bushings/bearings. Looks like those need to be pressed in and most people seem to use a hydraulic press which I don't have access to currently.

Everything internally of the old rusted axle is good, it's just the housing that has damage. I was hoping that the donor axel would be a straight swap but not sure if there are other difference between 4.10 and 3.55 asides from the gear itself like caps, etc

If there's anything else y'all need to do, I'm happy to help as well! I don't have too many power tools on hand, usually do everything manually, but I'd be happy to help wrench!

one question: can you weld to a satisfactory degree?

Between me and XJ buddy, we have most everything you need for everything, except a lift. I have the press, the inch-lb beam torque wrench, and I have setup bearings for a Dana 35 now too. Haven't done a Dana 30 yet, but my 97 needs new gears so it's on the horizon.

We did an engine swap into a friends Cherokee that is having some random overheat issues, and then we need to get his XJ running after we scavenged it for parts to make the other one run. If you feel like running to Mckinney (basically 75 & 380)...I'm in his garage several nights a week.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I've welded anything (MIG, TIG, and stick) so I may need a couple of practice run 😅

I'll probably try with either scrap metal or the spring perch relocation. I figure for the spring perch, at worse, it'll just be a bad tack job, nothing super structural as most of the force is upwards and not sideways like the welds will be holding.

I would love to have access to a lift; that's the biggest (metaphorically and physically) tool I'm missing. I heard there used to be some you could rent but it seems like they all closed.

That sounds really cool! I'm actually just down the street from y'all, right below George Bush and 75 so I'm definitely down to swing by and say hi

Finally wrapped up the TC/Transmission fluid change and replacing the transmission mount. Everything seems a lot smoother now but I can only test so on the top of a parking garage haha.

For the transmission mount, the 4 bolts that come through the skid plate, mine are jammed all the way in the back. Is that normal? Should it be more centered? I'm wondering if I should go back under and try to loosen/tighten in an effort for them to sit more naturally.

There's still a slight single knock under the driver's seat. Feels like somewhere on the driveshaft maybe? Only comes during on and off throttle in low (1-2) gear. In 3, I don't get it anymore (and I assume 4-5). Feels like it momentum based and there's enough momentum of the vehicle once in 3+ gear. Too much play in the front u joints? I think I may take another weekend to remove the front drive shaft and see.

Other things I've read online are bad bolts in the control arms. That might be worth a check if removing the front drive shaft doesn't do it