Annoying high-speed vibrations

I don't think it is a tire because you feel the vibration at such low speeds. However, if you have a spare you can try rotating each of the tires one at a time and see if it affects the problem. That will also allow you to insure the torque on the lug nuts.

Don't totally discount the pinion angle. If you have a worn suspension part as in bad control arm bushing it may cause vibrations as it allows the axle to rotate.

Please explain the vibration in more detail. Is it a lateral--side to side or more vertical, up and down in the seat.
The vibration in the steering column--does it feel like the wheel wants to violently go back and forth?

Because it comes and goes my gut says you have a bad bearing: unibearing, wheel bearing something that is rotating is not doing it properly.

I would bite the bullet and get this thing to a mechanic if you don't have the ability to put it on jack stands and run itwitjnthe tires off the ground.

Please let us know what you find.

Reactions: Chris
I would bite the bullet and get this thing to a mechanic if you don't have the ability to put it on jack stands and run it with the tires off the ground.

Please let us know what you find.

I second this. Unless you're very mechanically competent, it makes no sense to take shots in the dark and guess what it is (and admittedly, that's what a lot of us are doing since we can't actually see the vehicle in person).

Ok, after inspecting all of the wheels and tires and finding no issues, I took it for another cautious test drive. Paying more attention this time I think I was actually way off by thinking it was the wheels, I'm definitely noticing that the problem is coming from the middle of the vehicle right under the center console (tranny/u-joints). I also noticed a very rhythmic clunking noise that got faster as I gained speed (really thinking you may be right about the u-joints Chris). The gearshift handle also wobbled back and forth the faster I went. Also, it does the same thing when I'm coasting down a hill in neutral so that should mean it isn't a tranny issue correct? What do you guys think? thanks for all of the help btw.

From what you describe now, I think it's the u-joints on the driveshaft possibly. It could be an out of balance driveshaft, but a u-joint in the driveshaft is much more likely.

Well, sometimes you can just eyeball one and tell it's bad, but otherwise I don't think so.

u-joints are cheap enough I'd just replace them both (especially if you don't know when--or if--they were ever changed)

I just crawled under there and gave them all a wiggle. The u-joint on the rear driveshaft closer to the t-case had some play in it and both of them on the front driveshaft felt kinda wiggly. I know only the rear one affects normal driving but I guess I should replace them all in the near future.

Like I said, if you don't know when they were last replaced, I would replace them. You're talking at most $20 per u-joint, so it's pretty hard to beat that.

Sounds good! Hopefully it's just the u-joints. Those are easy as hell to replace.

You may have other problems like a bad u-joint as many have hopped on above but I still would bet my mortgage you have a tire issue.. a bad tire or an out of balance tire. The massive vibrations you experienced at 55 mph that didn't stop until you were nearly stopped is called Death Wobble which is usually triggered by one of the tires. This is not a subject I am unfamiliar with. :)

You're trying to remove a u-joint without knowing if it's bad or not yet? What about the u-joint is making you want to replace it?

And a bad u-joint is not going to be the cause of the biggest complaint you had in your first post.

I'm replacing the u-joint because I believe it is what is causing the wobbling at low speeds. The high speed vibration isn't as big a deal right now.
Exactly what is the u-joint doing that leads you to believe that? Are you replacing it solely because someone suggested it could be the cause or is there an actual problem with the u-joint you can see? With the axle shaft out, it's easy to tell if the u-joint is bad without removing it.

And if you continue to the point to where a new u-joint is installed (hopefully a Spicer 5-760x and not a store-brand), be wary it is very easy to destroy a new u-joint during the installation. If it is binding after installing it, post up here for further instructions. Or PM me.

Reactions: Chris
Hey ,

Reviving this post as I have exactly the same problem in my 2003 TJ. Just had a new clutch put in if that would change anything?

Tires have been checked and drive shaft u-joints have been replaced. Getting strong vibration at around 85-90km/hr. Feels like the vibration is coming from the center and causes rear view mirror to shake too.

Hey ,

Reviving this post as I have exactly the same problem in my 2003 TJ. Just had a new clutch put in if that would change anything?

Tires have been checked and drive shaft u-joints have been replaced. Getting strong vibration at around 85-90km/hr. Feels like the vibration is coming from the center and causes rear view mirror to shake too.

You’re going to get much better feedback by starting a new thread.