Another 42RLE issue

Sputter

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I have a 2003 TJ with the 2.4l engine and the 42rle. I have been rebuilding it and finally got everything fixed (or so I thought) and then the transmission starts giving me grief out of nowhere. Basically the transmission is overheating (I can feel it through the floorboards) and I’m getting a P0740 (Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Circuit / Open. I took it to a transmission shop that had previously replaced the TCM, they reset the code and said if it comes back they will need to rebuild the transmission. I took it to a second shop and the ohm’s out all the wiring and said the wiring is good and likely needed a rebuild. Before going to the expense is $2000-2400, I thought I would try a couple other things. I had the transmission flushed and new fluid added. Still had the issue. I had the shift solenoid assembly replaced with a mopar one but still having the issue.
I am trying to sell it but obvio don’t want to do so until I get this fixed. So here are my options as I see them:
  • Bite the bullet and have the transmission rebuilt and new torque converter.
  • Get a used transmission and a new torque converter.
  • Replace only the torque converter.
Other than that it shifts just fine. I do have a burning smell that is prevalent when I have been driving it for 30 minutes or more but I can’t pinpoint it.

At this point you're throwing good money after bad. If you plan to keep it, and want reliability, just get it rebuilt locally. That way if there are issues, it's on them to fix. Just make sure their warranty covers parts and labor!

If you just going to sell it go with a junkyard transmission. I don't think there is much that goes wrong with just the torque converter and when it does you don't go anywhere fast. You should be able to find one for >$1k at an auto recycler.

Reactions: Sputter
Overheating trans wont really heat up the floorboards, that's normally the cats. The 42RLE goes into a very obvious overheat shift pattern when it is hot, delayed shifts and eventually locks in one gear. If it isn't doing that it isn't hot. I don't know if that helps but you might try a different shop. If it drives fine I'd wait on the rebuild, it is likely something else.

Keep in mind a vaporized 42RLE is several hundred degrees less than normal for your cats.

Reactions: Sputter
The fact that I am getting an "open confirmed" seems to lead me to believe the solenoid is not getting a voltage signal. Without a voltage signal, it won't open the plungers and fluid will not flow. So maybe I have an electrical issue after all. Am I thinking of this correctly?

Screenshot 2021-09-20 8.17.32 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-09-20 8.21.22 PM.png

The factory service manual here on this site will tell you exactly what that code means and what the possible causes are. My 2004 says it's a slipping torque converter which means fried torque converter or bad solenoid but I don't know about an 03 2.4.

What page are you looking at? I’m thinking it is a torque converter issue to. The transmission guys just want to replace the transmission but I’m not convinced it’s the correct diagnosis.