Another from Central West Florida

TJmarine

Hello. First time Jeeper recently bought (about a month ago) a red 97 TJ 4.0L, 150,000 miles. Was super excited to start enjoying it with the family. Rust Free!! On the way home she overheated. Changed the thermostat and radiator cap. Also removed the hideous angry bird grill overlay. Seemed to have worked. Started grinding downshifting into 2 gear. Drained transmission fluid and replaced with royal purple synchromesh. Seemed a bit better, but jury’s still out on that one. Fresh ATF 4 in gear box. Oil pressure redicously low and it looked like it was leaking from the distributor. New distributor and seal Leaking oil from the front of the oil pan. Replaced the oil pan gasket and rear main seal while I was in there. Past owner did a real number on the threads so four thread repairs later I got it back installed. Took me a number of days to finish that one. Oil pressure now great. Took it for a test drive. Engine light came on. Codes read misfire cylinders 1-6 and started handling all over the place. Slight wobble. Removed the steering stabilizer and handled better. Took it for another test drive drive, caliper hung up and started the death wobble at anything over 20 mph. Limped her home. Got a new brake set coming Friday and still have to give her a tuneup. With all that said I’ve put maybe 20 miles on her and the rest of the month has been straight fixing. After work I get home and start on her again. This forum has been an invaluable tool in working out my issues I’ve had so far. I’m sure once I get the brakes and tuneup done there will be something else. And I have no doubt I will find the answer to it on here. Thank you to those who have contributed to this forum and shared your insight and knowledge. Oh got in it today and the battery’s dead!

Reactions: Chris
Also removed the hideous angry bird grill overlay.

Smartest thing I've ever heard someone say ;)

Seriously though, welcome to the forum, and I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the place. As I'm sure you may have already noticed, there's tons of helpful folks on here. Hopefully you get all the issues sorted out. The good news is that these TJs are very simple to work on in comparison to most modern day vehicles.

On the plus side, with all you are going through, you can pass that experience knowledge down the line to the next person on the forum who has similar issues. Keep us posted on progress!

On the plus side, with all you are going through, you can pass that experience knowledge down the line to the next person on the forum who has similar issues. Keep us posted on progress!
Lol. Oh yeah give me another couple months and I’m going to have a boat load of experience. I’m actually enjoying it minus the only twenty miles of drive time. PO installed what looks like a rough country front end and it “clunks” on a turn. Haven’t gotten it up on jack stands to check the obvious like bearing and shit. But that will come when I do the brakes.

Reactions: Chris