Another lift kit conversation

I don't want Teraflex or OME shocks.

Ive done the ranchos. They work decent. I can tell you the OME spring and shock combo rides nicer tho.
The new Teraflex ones are great as well. Installed one last week. Rode great. Metalcloak is softer.
If you wanna do OME, this is the combo I would use.

It's for you it's for me.......totally justifiable and the truth

Maybe it could be interpreted as rude. Obviously you considered it rude. It's not about you either but since you're making it about you: If you were trying to purchase something very specific and someone kept talking you into buying another brand you didn't want would you bend over and buy it to be nice? Or refuse and buy the brand you want and are going to pay for?

I'm not trying to start an argument with you or insult you in any way. I just think the guy you were talking to was reasonable and knowledgable. At least he was more reasonable and more knowedgable than most shops I've talked to. You have to deal with some BS if you want to get your Jeep into a shop. They will install anything you want on your Jeep, they just might recommend some other stuff first.

Reactions: Starrs
I'm not trying to start an argument with you or insult you in any way. I just think the guy you were talking to was reasonable and knowledgable. At least he was more reasonable and more knowedgable than most shops I've talked to. You have to deal with some BS if you want to get your Jeep into a shop. They will install anything you want on your Jeep, they just might recommend some other stuff first.

Dude,

For some unknown reason you're not comprehending what took place in this conversation. Last time: Once I refused, you know? Disagreed with him, didn't give in to his suggestions, he ended it. It was over at his disposal not mine! I'm sorry that you're testicularly challenged and don't want to offend or disagree with someone, or can't say no! So take my advice: When you are spending $1500-$2000 on 4 springs & 4 shocks stand up for yourself and get exactly what you want and are paying for. If you go to the butcher and want to buy 5 pounds of 100% grade A Beef, don't let him talk you into buying 2 pounds in pig balls.

Dude,

For some unknown reason you're not comprehending what took place in this conversation. Last time: Once I refused, you know? Disagreed with him, didn't give in to his suggestions, he ended it. It was over at his disposal not mine! I'm sorry that you're testicularly challenged and don't want to offend or disagree with someone, or can't say no! So take my advice: When you are spending $1500-$2000 on 4 springs & 4 shocks stand up for yourself and get exactly what you want and are paying for. If you go to the butcher and want to buy 5 pounds of 100% grade A Beef, don't let him talk you into buying 2 pounds in pig balls.

Welp, I'll step out of this thread now, but just so you know, I've always gotten exactly what I've wanted at every shop I've ever been to :buenrollo:

Reactions: Starrs
Welp, I'll step out of this thread now, but just so you know, I've always gotten exactly what I've wanted at every shop I've ever been to :buenrollo:

That very well may be, if you say you did then I believe you. What I do know: If you go to the shop that I had this unpleasant conversation with and want Rancho shocks installed it's not going to happen as I have thoroughly displayed.

Dude,

Why all the hostility? The shop was giving you, mostly, good advice. That is all @jodomcfrodo was trying to say. If a shop does not use a certain product and prefers something else, then that is the way they will lean. From a shops point of view, if you are asking about a basic TJ lift kit install, the shop is likely detecting inexperience and just trying to help out.

Reactions: derekmac
Why all the hostility? The shop was giving you, mostly, good advice. That is all @jodomcfrodo was trying to say. If a shop does not use a certain product and prefers something else, then that is the way they will lean. From a shops point of view, if you are asking about a basic TJ lift kit install, the shop is likely detecting inexperience and just trying to help out.

What hostility? I didn't use profanity, I didn't make any threats of any kind. It's just a disagreement between him and I. This whole situation came down to a disagreement over shocks. I realize they were giving me their advice but I should also have a say being that I'm fronting the bill.

I just installed the OME 2" heavy duty coils in the front of my 2000 TJ and the OME 2" coils in the rear. Bilstein 5100 shocks for the 2" lift. No TC drop, no vibrations. BFG 32x11.5x15 KM3 tires. I have a small amount of issue with wandering and slight body roll. I think the wandering is toe in and the body roll is so slight that I can live with it if I have to. I will probably go to a adjustable track bar front and rear later. By the way, I did it in the garage on jack stands, no big deal for a 60 year old guy, lol.

I just installed the OME 2" heavy duty coils in the front of my 2000 TJ and the OME 2" coils in the rear. Bilstein 5100 shocks for the 2" lift. No TC drop, no vibrations. BFG 32x11.5x15 KM3 tires. I have a small amount of issue with wandering and slight body roll. I think the wandering is toe in and the body roll is so slight that I can live with it if I have to. I will probably go to a adjustable track bar front and rear later. By the way, I did it in the garage on jack stands, no big deal for a 60 year old guy, lol.

I've decided to tackle this job myself as well. Thank you

Reactions: JMT
What hostility? I didn't use profanity, I didn't make any threats of any kind. It's just a disagreement between him and I. This whole situation came down to a disagreement over shocks. I realize they were giving me their advice but I should also have a say being that I'm fronting the bill.

Saying, "I'm sorry that you're testicularly challenged...," sounds a bit hostile and unnecessary in my opinion.

Well, some good came out of this. At least you’ll save yourself a ton of money DIY.

That guy knew some stuff, but some of it is off. For example, the kit makers often claim their shocks are valved to go with their springs. That is marketing to me. And an easy thing to market when you don’t reveal spring or shock specs

Reactions: Billwynburger
Dude,

I just read that book of a post you typed up and all I got out of it was a shop trying to give you his personal opinion which seemed like decent advice to me...not him being a dick to you at all. You came off more rude than he did for sure. Might want to call him back and apologize. You tackle the lift yourself ya might be taking it back to him anyway pleading with him to fix your huge mistake.

Reactions: derekmac
I just read that book of a post you typed up and all I got out of it was a shop trying to give you his personal opinion which seemed like decent advice to me...not him being a dick to you at all. You came off more rude than he did for sure. Might want to call him back and apologize. You tackle the lift yourself ya might be taking it back to him anyway pleading with him to fix your huge mistake.

The only thing I said that might be considered rude was " it's not for you, it's for me" that's it! And the only reason I said that is because he made the comment "if it were me I would install" and that's when we disagreed. He doesn't want to install what I want that's fine. I'll do it myself and I'm not doing business with him.

I think in a successful business, "the customer is always right." In this application, a business owner should have a form for the customer to fill out. Obvious things like Year, Model and Make, but also things like preferred brands, budget, use, etc...The business owner should ask what the customer wants and ask the customer if he wants his opinion. If the customer gives his opinion and there are some possible issues, the owner should express his willingness to look into it further and afterwards, if there are still differences, express those clearly to the customer, agreeing to do the work the customer desires (if it's not life-threatening), but making sure the customer signs a form that he was made aware of these possible issues and will not hold the owner liable if some issue arises after the fact. The owner should also be willing to work with the customer in the case that the customer needs to return for more work that he was made aware of beforehand, so it can be remedied. This is how I intend to run my business. The bottom line is that this is a good way to confirm that "the customer is always right" and gets what they want.

If you were down here in TX @Billwynburger, I'd do your lift.

Reactions: Billwynburger
I think in a successful business, "the customer is always right." In this application, a business owner should have a form for the customer to fill out. Obvious things like Year, Model and Make, but also things like preferred brands, budget, use, etc...The business owner should ask what the customer wants and ask the customer if he wants his opinion. If the customer gives his opinion and there are some possible issues, the owner should express his willingness to look into it further and afterwards, if there are still differences, express those clearly to the customer, agreeing to do the work the customer desires (if it's not life-threatening), but making sure the customer signs a form that he was made aware of these possible issues and will not hold the owner liable if some issue arises after the fact. The owner should also be willing to work with the customer in the case that the customer needs to return for more work that he was made aware of beforehand, so it can be remedied. This is how I intend to run my business. The bottom line is that this is a good way to confirm that "the customer is always right" and gets what they want.

If you were down here in TX @Billwynburger, I'd do your lift.

Thank you and I would hire you in a second.

I mentioned politely " I think I'll do some more research thank you" trying to end the conversation when I realized he wasn't going to install the shocks I preferred. I don't know why? He said he installed Rancho shocks before and they worked well. I didn't use profanity, I didn't come out here and bash him or his business, or even post the name of his business. I never said he was giving me bad advice and I agreed to purchase everything and bring it to him. It ended peacefully even though we couldn't come to an agreement. I was surprised that he didn't want to do business over the brand of shocks and I was willing to pay a lot of money but as you said it's going to save me a lot of money.

My intentions were not to start or bring unpleasant drama to this forum. The truth is I believe what people on this forum are telling me more then 4x4 shops, why? Because they have actual experience. I won't be posting conversations I've had with shops in the future and there have already been a few that refused to install what I was asking for regarding re-gearing. I was defending myself when it came to jodomcfrodo comments: "Do you think he only installs one exact type of shock on every TJ that comes through the shop door? Do you think he only installs one exact type of lift kit on every Jeep that comes through the door?"

Why or where this line of questioning came from was unclear when Multiple shocks were mentioned in the conversation I posted.

Then his other comment was:

At least he was more reasonable and more knowledgeable than most shops I've talked to. You have to deal with some BS if you want to get your Jeep into a shop.

A few minutes later his comment was:
but just so you know, I've always gotten exactly what I've wanted at every shop I've ever been to.

OK, so I think it's fair to say you've ran into or had similar conversations or situations with shops as I have.

With that said, Jodomcfrodo I wasn't trying to drag you back into this thread you respectfully bowed out. I guess I may have been a little harsh towards you with a few of my comments and for that I sincerely apologize to you. I think deep down in your own way you were trying to help.

I do not regret sanding up for myself regarding the disagreement I had with the shop I had dealt with.