Another shock question

Dunkut88TJ

Living the Dream
Supporting Member
Good evening! I have searched and read up on shocks here for quite a bit so I’m going to avoid asking questions I “believe” I know the answer to. Try to avoid flaming me too bad 😂

I have a 4 inch rough country lift from the previous owner. From what I have read (or at least I think) the shocks make or break the ride. When I hit the dirt I feel like popcorn getting popped and it’s miserable.

question is this- if I order the correct Rancho’s how much of a difference will it make? Or do I need to wait and knock it all out? Also, shocks look like a plug and play install, is that accurate?

Some history to aid support:
I have sway bar disconnects, Currie steering, Clayton trackbar, springs are in good shape (according to local 4x4 gurus), lower rear control arm bushings are on their way out (some clacking present) so all my adjustable control arms will need swapped before long

The difference really depends on what is causing the rough ride. The RS5000X are cheap enough that you might as well give them a try. Plus, you can keep them if you swap to another 4" lift in the future. I would definitely give them a try.

As long as you get the correct length shocks, they simply bolt in. You might need to adjust bumpstop length and check for interference if the lengths are significantly different than what was previously installed.

If you're planning to change the lift height, I would wait and buy shocks at that time.

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ
The difference really depends on what is causing the rough ride. The RS5000X are cheap enough that you might as well give them a try. Plus, you can keep them if you swap to another 4" lift in the future. I would definitely give them a try.

As long as you get the correct length shocks, they simply bolt in. You might need to adjust bumpstop length and check for interference if the lengths are significantly different than what was previously installed.

If you're planning to change the lift height, I would wait and buy shocks at that time.
Thanks, not looking to change the height, just hopeful swapping shocks will make a marked improvement

Reactions: Steel City 06
Shocks should make a difference, also tire pressure. What size tires are you running, at what air pressure and what is their load rating (C, D or E)?

Shocks should make a difference, also tire pressure. What size tires are you running, at what air pressure and what is their load rating (C, D or E)?

running 35 x 12.5 15

they are at 30 psi right now which may be high

C rated

running 35 x 12.5 15

they are at 30 psi right now which may be high

C rated
24-26 works well unless your Jeep is really heavy.
p.s. If you have RC shocks now, the Rancho shocks make a big difference. I bought some brand new RC N3 shocks because I needed them asap and RC gets here in 2 days. I sold them for $150 a month later because of the harsh street ride and bought some Rancho RS5000X shocks. Night and day difference.

Last edited:
24-26 works well unless your Jeep is really heavy.
p.s. If you have RC shocks now, the Rancho shocks make a big difference. I bought some brand new RC N3 shocks because I needed them asap and RC gets here in 2 days. I sold them for $150 a month later and bought some Rancho RS5000X shocks. Night and day difference.
Not sure how “light” my rig is, bumpers are solid etc. I’m 99% sure they are RC shocks, folks near me are really big on Falcon and Fox, not sure I need to go that intense. The avid TJ crew here all scream Rancho as you know. Also, everyone is trying to make a buck selling you bigger, better, and more expensive 💩

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Not sure how “light” my rig is, bumpers are solid etc. I’m 99% sure they are RC shocks, folks near me are really big on Falcon and Fox, not sure I need to go that intense. The avid TJ crew here all scream Rancho as you know. Also, everyone is trying to make a buck selling you bigger, better, and more expensive 💩
If you have the really old white RC shocks, they're even worse than the grey 2.2 and N3 shocks they sell. I've had them all. RC used to give me stuff to test out.

Here’s the rear shock, too old for any markings. I have a RC warning sticker on visor and just piecing it all together I have no reason to believe they aren’t RC. I don’t even have a frame of reference to compare to my suspension, I just know that if everyone rode like this they wouldn’t wheel 😂

813A848F-727F-4DAC-A6C4-C46B640325F3.jpeg

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I just added all three of these pictures because I’m not sure which is best.

is this a 4 or 5 inch lift ? Seems like 4.5

DCECE0A5-AF41-43DA-8C6D-C4C92C91B50A.jpeg

DC2B9B5F-2A5F-46DD-A1DE-D1D6512B0C9B.jpeg

B0C0F112-7F9E-49B4-9F30-2654AF6ED916.jpeg