Another Sputtering ,stuttering , stalling TJ

Dulcimer Player

So does this sound familiar to anyone?

My 98 TJ starting sputtering and cutting out recently. It started out as a once in a while stutter while running the street, the first time I thought I had just hit a wide expansion joint. Just once, never repeated. This summer it got worse. Starting cutting out and stuttering, would do it in all gears and would get noticeably worse as the weather got really hot. Never stalled but would get so bad at times that I didn't think it would get up to road speed. Then it would quit for a few miles. Driving me crazy. I searched the forums and found many suggestions to check such as the sensors, the crank shaft position sensor, etc.

Took it to the Jeep shop and they found it had a cracked exhaust manifold. Shop guy says that the crack was allowing fresh air to be drawn into the exhaust, this caused the O2 sensor in the exhaust system to think that to much O2 was going through the engine and not being burned. This resulted in the engine trying to constantly readjust the fuel, timing, etc to burn the excess O2 and run clean.

Replaced the crack manifold, the problem is GONE!. Runs like dream again, and quieter.

So just put this back in your memory if case someone else has that crazy stuttering, gets worse on real hot days, can't think of what else it might be syndrome.

you mean like this?
that would explain everything considering i have changed out just about every sensor an looked over all the wiring and was getting ready to look up my insurance policies fire coverage lol

exhaust.jpg