Another thanks thread

Hoboscratch

Supporting Member
Just wanted to say thanks from a mostly silent lurker who has learned so much from this site. I grew up working on our cars with my Dad so I definitely owe it all to him, but even after going to college and working in IT sales, I'm still wrenching...and although its a love/hate relationship, I'm passing what I can onto my boys.

I've owned 3 Jeeps over the years so when I was finally in a position where I could get an LJ, I was extremely excited. A little too excited, admittedly, because when I went shopping for it, I looked at it with a "must have" lens instead of an objective one. So I've been spending much of the last year fixing rust, replacing parts and upgrading where it makes sense. I still have so much to do, but thankfully there is time.

I've got my first real wheeling trip coming up with a buddy of mine to the Black Hills, SD. He lives in CO and is meeting me out there, so I will be with someone experienced. I do feel ready, although there are a few things on the list yet.

However, if it wasn't for all of the pros on this site answering people's questions, along with the outstanding search capabilities, I wouldn't have been able to do everything I was able to.

A quick list of the things I've replaced that I have never done before, and felt confident doing it after reading a write-up in the How To section, or reading through the Resources section for advice:
- front end rebuild (bearings, steering components/knuckles, ball/u joints, axle seals)
- suspension lift incl all 8 control arms
- bump stop check, measuring for appropriate length shocks - had no idea how involved but important this was!
- body lift
- self alignment
- choosing a winch, and mounting
- adj rear track bar install
- and just finished today, transfer case shift cable - might be the worst of them all due to the corrosion

Plus a ton of odds and ends such as using a cut-down rubber mallet head as a spare tire bumper, automatically shutting off OD when shifting into D, and all the great suggestions on which parts and fluids to use.

I did send 'er to the shop to get the RMS done...I couldn't bring myself to do that one haha!

Garage pic, will have some wheeling pics soon! I do need to spool my winch cable too, before someone notices and comments :)
AAF0BAD8-32E9-4B1E-A6C9-1F215BEFC032.jpeg

If you ever want to hit up the Iron Range or Mesabi Mountain Trail let me know.

And if you need any factory takeoff parts, I may have an LJ's worth here in the next few months.

If you ever want to hit up the Iron Range or Mesabi Mountain Trail let me know.

And if you need any factory takeoff parts, I may have an LJ's worth here in the next few months.
Nice, I will hit you up. I’m in Prior Lake, so right on the SW edge of the cities. I don’t have any concrete plans to go up, but was thinking sometime in August. Let me know if you’re planning a trip up. Not sure what I’ll need for takeoffs at this point that I don’t have already but if I come across something I will for sure hit you up

Reactions: Apparition
Nice, I will hit you up. I’m in Prior Lake, so right on the SW edge of the cities. I don’t have any concrete plans to go up, but was thinking sometime in August. Let me know if you’re planning a trip up. Not sure what I’ll need for takeoffs at this point that I don’t have already but if I come across something I will for sure hit you up
Southern Cities here too. I'll let you know if we head up.

Reactions: Hoboscratch