Anti seize for control arms

Goatman

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
There is the aluminum stuff, the copper stuff, the nickel stuff, and probably dozens more. What is the best for use under the Jeep where the salt water lives for 6 months of the year? Time to replace the control arms and do NOT want a repeat of what I'm going through now. My God! If I didn't know better I'd think the bolts are welded in! Any tricks? 145K miles on the originals. If I didn't have one clunking so bad I'd be tempted to leave 'em be. Whish I had a lift.

You asked "any tricks". I have a 97 from the northeast that was entirely stock. I had to cut several of the control arm bolts off with either an angle grinder or a sawsall and used heat where I could. I bought all new bolts as most of the old ones were trashed. It was a battle and thank goodness now I am pretty sure every bolt on the Jeep has been touched and can now be reasonably removed.

be aware of using anti seize on the threads if your torquing bolts and nuts. i think the suggestion is in the ballpark of reducing your setting about 30% iirc from the specd torque due to the anti seize acting as a lubricant. i wasnt aware of this until lately, thought id share.

There is the aluminum stuff, the copper stuff, the nickel stuff, and probably dozens more. What is the best for use under the Jeep where the salt water lives for 6 months of the year? Time to replace the control arms and do NOT want a repeat of what I'm going through now. My God! If I didn't know better I'd think the bolts are welded in! Any tricks? 145K miles on the originals. If I didn't have one clunking so bad I'd be tempted to leave 'em be. Whish I had a lift.
Anything, they don't live a hard life. Loctite would probably be an even better choice, low or medium strength. All those special anti seize things are for high temp or at least that's how I see it. Just use the blue stuff and be done with it.

New York rust is my all natural Loctite. Hell, even my mail box needs antiseize by spring. I think most rustbelters use antiseize like its ranch dressing.