Anti-seize recommendations please

03coloradowrangler

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
When using anti sieze for a mild steel bolt into a mild steel thread, which flavor of anti sieze should i be using? i understand theres different temperature ratings, but for work on fender bolts, fender flare bolts, suspension related bolts.. just your normal everyday bolt outdoors (not stainless or aluminum bolts) what would best be recommended? Being up here in the rust belt area of Michigan with lots of summer humidity and salty winters id like to be able to take apart fittings without a major fight in the future rather than "gluing" them together with aluminum based and causing a galvanic reaction.

i had been using aluminum anti sieze for years now because thats just whats been on the shelf of chemicals in the garage. i began thinking aluminum based may not be such a smart idea as aluminum and steel react. My sisters first car was a Dodge Omni and i remember the rear bumper was aluminum and held on with steel bolts and one day the galvanic reaction actually worked it way deep enough to cause the bumper to fall off.

Yesterday i made a trip to the local bolt and screw supplier Mid-States Bolt & Screw Co. who are pretty good for having whatever replacement fastener you need on hand and was recommended nickel or silver grade.. but the employee wasn't fully sure and pulled out the sales book and just kinda pointed and said for the most part "i think these would be your best bet".

i picked up a jar of silver anti seize because honestly i figured it would be better than aluminum but honestly im not too sure if thats what i should be using or not.

any recommendations? or is there something else similar i should consider?

I've got the nickel anti-seize (black in color).

image_505600_1_20411_1_251569.jpg

I've been using Chesterton Nickel Anti seize for the past 30+ years, when I need mixed metals anti seize. For steel to steel applications, I use grease. Typical applications are motorcycle swingarm and wheel axles, and other suspension bolts.

seems like we are split 50/50 on nickel or aluminum. Chris, that's exactly what i was using up until yesterday, but i swapped to silver because thats what was guessed best for my application. 🤷‍♂️

that jet lube 550 looks interesting, ill look further into it later tonight. thanks for the heads up.
grease also sounds interesting, being that its not heated it should do well too.. possibly marine grade.

OP, the nickle coat I use is designed for higher temps, but it works well for low temps also. Based on others experience, it seems both will work.

This product rebranded as a Mopar item.
Permatex 80078 Anti-Seize Lubricant with Brush Top Bottle, 8 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FW7VGE/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Why? Because it was available from the stock room at work. It worked well on any automotive application I came across in 30+ years.

We did use a copper colored, hi temp product, on the door hinges on our heat treat oven. i think it was a Permatex product as well.

No matter what you use, as soon as you open the can, the stuff will be on every random thing in the shop. Even if that random thing is 20 feet away. :ROFLMAO:

Why? Because it was available from the stock room at work

That's probably the real reason most of us ended up using whatever we recommend. My first batch was a mostly empty can one of the millwrights threw away. I got several years out of that small amount. When they announced closing the facility, I stocked up.