Antifreeze Leak

AaronPaul

TJ Enthusiast
Ok guys. Front of oil pan, antifreeze leak. Left quite a mess earlier. Thoughts?
Water pump?
You guys are always amazing at this stuff.

Thanks

IMG_7065.jpeg

IMG_7063.jpeg

IMG_7064.jpeg

If it's dripping from a hidden location behind the pulley on the water pump that's pretty much guaranteed to be from the water pump that is about to go out. When the water pump's bushing starts leaking through its weep hole it's time to replace the pump. Avoid store-brand replacements, even if it comes with a lifetime warranty, try to find a Mopar replacement.

Reactions: AaronPaul
If it's dripping from a hidden location behind the pulley on the water pump that's pretty much guaranteed to be from the water pump that is about to go out. When the water pump's bushing starts leaking through its weep hole it's time to replace the pump. Avoid store-brand replacements, even if it comes with a lifetime warranty, try to find a Mopar replacement.

Yeah I’ll definitely go with mopar. Just wanted to double check if my theory of water pump was accurate.

Thanks Jerry

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Super helpful posts and pictures. Thank you! I have the same issue and if I tear into it are there other things I should do while I have a part timing belt, etc?

There is no timing belt, but if the serpentine fan belt is old then yes, replace it while doing the water pump. Same goes for the radiator hoses.

There is no timing belt, but if the serpentine fan belt is old then yes, replace it while doing the water pump. Same goes for the radiator hoses.

Thank you! Also, I read a comment to only use mopar water pump…the price is like 4x after market. Any view on this? (I understand labor etc…is the quality that bad is my question)

I really can’t comment on Mopar water pumps. I can comment on water pumps in general, though.

I worked at auto parts stores in school and still have the 1971 Cutlass from back then (bought it in 1989). I have replaced the water pump with aftermarket rebuilt and had no issues

I replaced the water pump in the Jeep with a new Gates pump in 2019 and haven’t had any issues.

This is just my experience. There may be people with worse experiences and have gone through multiple aftermarket pumps, but I haven’t read about that on this forum or the old car forums for my Cutlass.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I really can’t comment on Mopar water pumps. I can comment on water pumps in general, though.

I worked at auto parts stores in school and still have the 1971 Cutlass from back then (bought it in 1989). I have replaced the water pump with aftermarket rebuilt and had no issues

I replaced the water pump in the Jeep with a new Gates pump in 2019 and haven’t had any issues.

This is just my experience. There may be people with worse experiences and have gone through multiple aftermarket pumps, but I haven’t read about that on this forum or the old car forums for my Cutlass.