Any advantage of one pillar light mount versus another?

Paradiddle

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm going to mount some lights I got free on the A pillar. Already have a light bar on the front bumper.

Is there any advantage to the particular location of the lights? They are Baja Designs 80 XL lights

1719511241987.png

I purchased these two mounts from amazon and frankly can't decide. My instinct is to mount them lower so they are out of the way, but that might create more glare. I've never run lights there on prior Jeeps - curious as to your experiences and opinions.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CX8MF8L8?tag=wranglerorg-20

1719511338722.png

also purchased these which are much nicer quality (more expensive also).

1719511392684.png

I prefer mine on the bumper so I can use them ON the road and not be tempted to turn them on drivers that high beam me. I got in trouble when I had windshield mounted lights.
Dark blue jeep2.jpg

Someone here recently came up with a very simple aluminum A pillar mounting tab. Were I to want lights there, it is what I would use. It was either flux or sunny.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I have 4 inch spotlights on the lower type mount. I prefer them not sticking up as high as the higher mounts are. As far as glare, there is some on the hood, but to me, it's not as big a deal as some makes it out to be. If they were flood lights, maybe it's worse, I don't know.

The last picture is more representative of what I see from the seat. The two pics prior to it are with the camera up close to the windshield.

IMG_1228.JPG
IMG_1229.JPG
IMG_1230.JPG
IMG_0109.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG
IMG_0112.JPG
IMG_0236.JPG

Reactions: Rockytop
I have lights on the a pillar and in the bumper, and the a pillar lights get a lot more use. I'm usually in the woods and like how they shine wide so I can see all around instead of just directly in front. I even have them angled out just a little. I love them for night rides.

The bumper lights throw light forward, but regular high-beams do a pretty good job of that. Maybe if I was bombing through the desert at night I'd want more forward light.

I have 4 inch spotlights on the lower type mount. I prefer them not sticking up as high as the higher mounts are. As far as glare, there is some on the hood, but to me, it's not as big a deal as some makes it out to be. If they were flood lights, maybe it's worse, I don't know.

The last picture is more representative of what I see from the seat. The two pics prior to it are with the camera up close to the windshield.

View attachment 538350

Not to sidetrack the thread, but I want to hear about those green dash lights.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Not to sidetrack the thread, but I want to hear about those green dash lights.

I replaced them all several years ago. Including the HVAC, auto transmission bulb, footwell and the dome lights in the speaker pods. I used red LED's in the windshield spot lights and rear lights in my bumper. Kind of as a warning indicator. I told my wife so she wouldn't accidently turn them on. :LOL: Some of the LED's came from Superbrightleds.com and I think I did use a couple LED's off Amazon, but my history shows that were not available anymore. Off the top of my head, I don't remember which bulbs were the Amazon ones. The orange needles don't show up as bright as they used to, or as much as this pic makes it look like, but it's not terrible. If I remember correctly, I had the brightness turned up all the way at that time. Usually I keep them on one of the lower two settings.

The windshield and rear light switches are the OE style found on Amazon and Ebay. They require some modifying by combining the rocker from those switches with OE Jeep switch. I used XJ Cherokee fog light switches and pig tail from eBay. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...p-wrangler-unlimited.14995/page-2#post-679608

IMG_0238.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: C.J. Roberts