Any back yard barbeque masters?

Mike_H

autos are better - WRWD508
Supporting Member
Pretty excited...my new grill came today!

Been playing around with a cheap kamado grill for a few years now, and it's finally ready to fall apart. Got a black Friday deal on a new ceramic kamado. It's a vision pro series. Lot of nice features for the price...which was about half that of a big green egg. Has about double the cooking surface too.

20171211_204417.jpg
20171211_204424.jpg
20171211_204408.jpg

Admittedly, this is something I've wanted to take up for a long time... My mouth is watering just seeing that.

seen the price of the green egg, and I thought TJ parts where expensive......excuse my ignorance but what do these do differently or better than a standard BBQ? I hope nothing that phenomenal or I will be researching one for my backyard. I wonder how these would winter in snow country? would lighting it in ice cold weather cause it to crack?

seen the price of the green egg, and I thought TJ parts where expensive......excuse my ignorance but what do these do differently or better than a standard BBQ? I hope nothing that phenomenal or I will be researching one for my backyard. I wonder how these would winter in snow country? would lighting it in ice cold weather cause it to crack?
You can use them year round...they heat up gradually, so no cracking. The thing about how they cook is twofold...one is the shape. They cook by convection, so you get a more even heat. The other is how well they insulate. You can go low and slow (like 225 degrees) for 5 hours to smoke a turkey or pork butt. On the other hand, if you've got a couple of choice New York strips, you can crank the heat to 700 and sear them like a boss. They are really flexible, and once you get used to cooking on one, pretty easy to master.

The fuel source is also way better...you use hardwood lump charcoal, instead of briquettes. Much better flavor.

Here is a good one. Get 2 bone thick pork rib roast cuts and have the butcher French the bones. Brine over night, inject if you can 1:4 cider vinegar and water 1/2 part salt. Dry rub with pepper, paprika, garlic, maybe some cayenne. Smoke until they reach 140-145. Take them off and hold at that temp while you crank the Kamado up to 600-700. Coat them with a brown sugar and applesauce glaze. Carmelize those babies and enjoy. It's easier if you have a second smoker so you can have the kamado ready and not wait for it to get really hot. I am lucky to have an offset wood fired smoker too.