Any CA Uber / Lyft drivers on here that are in touch with the issues?

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
They were supposed to shut ya'll down on Friday. Somehow they got to stay up and running a bit longer. Any idea what's going on?

Hopefully this doesn’t interfere with my plan to take an Uber back from your place to mine.

• Wow
Reactions: toximus
I’ve never used an Uber but the issue is the State wants more money and wants to label the drivers as employees with W-2’s instead of independent contractors who file 1099’s.
So if the driver makes $100 they can say $25 went to fuel, maintenance or whatever then only pay taxes on the $75 left ( plus they have to pay Uber like 20% )

There must have been some kind of extension to keep them open. We used a Lyft today in Northern California.
Our diver is/was opposed to being converted into an “employee”. He has driven for Lyft (and maybe Uber) for over 6 years. He seems to think the conversion to an employee wii jack prices for users so high they will quit using the service.
He asked us to research and vote yes on Prop 22

He seems to think the conversion to an employee wii jack prices for users so high they will quit using the service.

He's absolutely right.

I'm sure California wants their share of the tax dollars though so they won't let them fail. California needs all the tax dollars they can get.

• Sad
Reactions: B252
He seems to think the conversion to an employee wii jack prices for users so high they will quit using the service.
He asked us to research and vote yes on Prop 22
That is actually kinda funny. But, it is also expected. The way I read it, Prop 22 essentially is a grab to give the workers the rights of an employee while still remaining an independent contractor. I've worked as an independent contractor the vast majority of my life. No one has ever intervened to tell anyone I have done work for what I should get paid etc..

I don't know how it is all going to shake out, personally I think that AB-5 screwed over lots of folks but that is coming from someone who believes you should have control of how and where you want to work.

Below is the gist of Prop 22. If it passes, I don't see how that will not raise the cost of a ride. Well, that is unless the framers of the Prop are operating under the misguided notion that the companies will just absorb the cost and it won't trickle down to an increase in rates. (something that all the high minimum wage advocates seem to be guilty of)

• payments for the difference between a worker's net earnings, excluding tips, and a net earnings floor based on 120% of the minimum wage applied to a driver's engaged time and 30 cents, adjusted for inflation after 2021, per engaged mile;
  • limiting app-based drivers from working more than 12 hours during a 24-hour period, unless the driver has been logged off for an uninterrupted 6 hours;
  • for drivers who average at least 25 hours per week of engaged time during a calendar quarter, require companies to provide healthcare subsidies equal to 82% the average California Covered (CC) premium for each month;
  • for drivers who average between 15 and 25 hours per week of engaged time during a calendar quarter, require companies to provide healthcare subsidies equal to 41% the average CC premium for each month;
  • require companies to provide or make available occupational accident insurance to cover at least $1 million in medical expenses and lost income resulting from injuries suffered while a driver was online (defined as when the driver is using the app and can receive service requests) but not engaged in personal activities;
  • require the occupational accident insurance to provide disability payments of 66 percent of a driver's average weekly earnings during the previous four weeks before the injuries suffered (while the driver was online but not engaged in personal activities) for upwards of 104 weeks (about 2 years);
  • require companies to provide or make available accidental death insurance for the benefit of a driver's spouse, children, or other dependents when the driver dies while using the app;

I’ve never used an Uber but the issue is the State wants more money and wants to label the drivers as employees with W-2’s instead of independent contractors who file 1099’s.
So if the driver makes $100 they can say $25 went to fuel, maintenance or whatever then only pay taxes on the $75 left ( plus they have to pay Uber like 20% )
That mess starts with AB-5 that passed the first of the year. It essentially classified a bunch of workers as employees that didn't used to be. That is a tough one because a lot of the folks should be employees and a bunch shouldn't.

The employee definition is fairly basic. If a company tells you what to do, when to do it, and it is something within the scope of the company's normal business model, you're an employee.

I had heard that they were shutting down Friday at midnight and their previous appeals had been shot down. How many is that now?

From my understanding, there’s another bill coming for you all in CA in November (Prop 22) that the gig economy companies have been backing pretty hard. I think it exempts Uber/Lyft/etc from having to take on drivers as employees but does add some “protections” for drivers - I don’t really know what all that includes.

From my understanding, there’s another bill coming for you all in CA in November (Prop 22) that the gig economy companies have been backing pretty hard. I think it exempts Uber/Lyft/etc from having to take on drivers as employees but does add some “protections” for drivers - I don’t really know what all that includes.
Again, fairly bizarre but I expect nothing less in today's world. The line between independent contractor and employee is pretty well defined and has been. When I started in the construction industry, we operated in kind of a gray area. They shut that down in pretty short order due to use being told where to work, what to do, when to do it, and providing the place to do it. That made us employees and killed that 1099 shit with a quickness.

Now they want 1099 flexibility with protections? WTF is that?

Love when states spin it as benefits for individuals when in reality its a money grab. No state, left or right, has given a shit about individuals until it effects their bottom line.

Part of the appeal of being an independent contractor, are the tax benefits. Ive been one since 2009 and Id never go W-2. I never want to be limited on the income potential, taxes, retirement etc, I control all of that and thats the way I want it.

Again, fairly bizarre but I expect nothing less in today's world. The line between independent contractor and employee is pretty well defined and has been. When I started in the construction industry, we operated in kind of a gray area. They shut that down in pretty short order due to use being told where to work, what to do, when to do it, and providing the place to do it. That made us employees and killed that 1099 shit with a quickness.

I’m doing a job on 1099 now, I don’t get shit.

except paid handsomely

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick Flair
I’m doing a job on 1099 now, I don’t get shit.

except paid handsomely
This is how it is supposed to work. When you flip the equation and start having poor workers classified as independent contractors paying less tax you have problems because they are more of a tax burden on the economy in the long run.

No state, left or right, has given a shit about individuals until it effects their bottom line.
This is absolutely true, when the state comes up short it looks at what's wrong. Why is there a massive company in California that employs thousands of workers contributing almost nothing? Where do we get the money to pay for that shortfall?

Having your cake and eating it too.

Reactions: Apparition