Any ideas what this is for?

Idaho Jeeping Girl

New to us 97 Jeep Wrangler, trying to figure out what this wiring is and if I need it. The green wire is really long and not connected to anything on the one end.

This is on the driver’s side.

Thanks in advance...

17352A76-7369-46D6-B27F-5A3D97292FDC.jpeg

1B7301AC-DB05-4FA7-AB9A-A1CEC8FE1B24.jpeg

Looks like it’s attached to a relay or something on that bracket. It’s hard to tell unless you follow where the wire go to.

Do you have any switches in the cab that don’t do anything?

Reactions: Fonz54
That's for some aftermarket lights most likely, it's coming from or to a relay. I'd zip ty it out of harm's way too itself until you sort it out. Be sure the end is taped and can't touch metal. It could be a ground but appears to be the 87 out pole (to the accessory) it is coming from, so it may be hot when switched.

May come in handy if you add lights later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fonz54 and mrjp
The dreaded previous owner wired something syndrome. While I agree this wiring is from an add-on accessory, I would trace it out, remove it, and start fresh. I would hate for you to burn your Jeep down with an unknown and lackluster wiring job.

Based on what I'm looking at, the previous owner left a lot to be desired in his/her wiring skills. If needed, I'd start over with the appropriate gauge/color wire for what you are doing, harsh environment connectors (crimp, solder and heat shrink) and use some sort of abrasion protection.

The dreaded previous owner wired something syndrome. While I agree this wiring is from an add-on accessory, I would trace it out, remove it, and start fresh. I would hate for you to burn your Jeep down with an unknown and lackluster wiring job.

Based on what I'm looking at, the previous owner left a lot to be desired in his/her wiring skills. If needed, I'd start over with the appropriate gauge/color wire for what you are doing, harsh environment connectors (crimp, solder and heat shrink) and use some sort of abrasion protection.
Agreed! Just wanted to ensure I wasn’t g to regret removing this mess.

Reactions: Fonz54
Agreed! Just wanted to ensure I wasn’t g to regret removing this mess.
With what is pictured, I don't see a reason that you would regret removing that mess one bit. It is hard to tell from the pictures but everything that was powered by it looks to have been removed anyway. I'd snip it at the firewall to pull it out both directions and then plug/silicone the hole in the firewall.