Any mobile phone / network experts here?

freedom_in_4low

I'm a rooster illusion
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
For about a week now, every time I leave a wifi signal, mobile data won't work until I restart my phone. It gives no indication of a signal loss and looks normal in every way except nothing that requires a data connection will load.

It even happened today when I didn't touch my phone for a few hours but hadn't connected to WiFi. It's like the LTE connection can't restore if it goes dormant.

It's annoying as hell having to restart it multiple times per day.

Pixel 3 on Android 12, cricket service which is on AT&T network. I've reset APNs, reset all connections, turned various connections on and off, nothing has worked. Turning mobile data off and back on didn't even restore it, I have to actually restart the phone (or reset all connections, which clears out all my wifi and Bluetooth connections as well).

Could this be a carrier issue? The onset seems to have coincided with hitting the monthly data limit but my billing cycle reset 3 days ago and my account isn't showing to be throttled anymore.

I was gonna ask if you live in western NM. A couple soup cans and a string would be an improvement here. based off our issues I say its the carrier thats the problem but Im no expert thats for sure.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Is there a way to reset your cellular data in the phone settings?

Yeah, done that. It worked just like restarting the phone, meaning it restored the connected but I lost it again the next time I connected to WiFi and then left.

Are you running the latest operating system update?

Have you backed up the phone recently?
The reason I ask is that my next move would be to wipe/reset the phone.

It has the latest OS offered to the pixel 3, which is android 12. They just released 13 this month but all indications are that the 3 won't get it. Being that the 13 release coincided really well with the start of my issue, I really hope they're not pulling an Apple move and making my phone so annoying to use that I buy a new one.

Everything I need is backed up in some way or another. I usually shy away from doing full backups and restores in case the reason for needing to do the reset is a problem buried in the backup. It's a built in way to force myself to clean house on apps and storage, too.

I agree a reset is probably my next move, but I might wait til Monday and call my carrier to see if there's anything going on at their end.

It's happening allot. Do you have volte enabled? Are you sure you have the correct and current APN information, you might need to research if there is a good one for Cricket? The default from the sim card might not be the correct one anymore and that's all you get if you reset. I've had similar issues with Tello, another MVNO, and found an apn that worked.

It has the latest OS offered to the pixel 3, which is android 12. They just released 13 this month but all indications are that the 3 won't get it. Being that the 13 release coincided really well with the start of my issue, I really hope they're not pulling an Apple move and making my phone so annoying to use that I buy a new one.

Everything I need is backed up in some way or another. I usually shy away from doing full backups and restores in case the reason for needing to do the reset is a problem buried in the backup. It's a built in way to force myself to clean house on apps and storage, too.

I agree a reset is probably my next move, but I might wait til Monday and call my carrier to see if there's anything going on at their end.

Idk what your problem is but I'm surprised you haven't been annoyed out of your pixel 3 yet. I was out of my 3a a few months ago lol

Idk what your problem is but I'm surprised you haven't been annoyed out of your pixel 3 yet. I was out of my 3a a few months ago lol

I've never bought a phone that wasn't at least 2 years old (new in box, but old model) so that may just be my baseline. Vanilla Android is my favorite phone experience so far.

Not sure what the 3a did that you didn't like, but it had less processor than the 3 to target a more midrange price. My 3 takes great photos and is faster than anything I've had. This is really the first trouble I've ever had with it.

It's happening allot. Do you have volte enabled? Are you sure you have the correct and current APN information, you might need to research if there is a good one for Cricket? The default from the sim card might not be the correct one anymore and that's all you get if you reset. I've had similar issues with Tello, another MVNO, and found an apn that worked.

VoLTE is enabled.

All the apn info I can find matches mine in every way except "hipri" was missing from "apn type", no idea whether that matters but I created a matching one and I'll try it out.

You said you're on the latest OS, but have you installed all updates? It's kind of annoying to find now — go to the google store and search for updates (type 'updates' in the search). Click 'update all', then restart when done.

You could also call your provider and have them send you a new sim card. Worth a shot at least.

If still having this issue, I would try a factory reset.

Still a problem after that, I'd probably replace the phone.

You said you're on the latest OS, but have you installed all updates? It's kind of annoying to find now — go to the google store and search for updates (type 'updates' in the search). Click 'update all', then restart when done.

You could also call your provider and have them send you a new sim card. Worth a shot at least.

If still having this issue, I would try a factory reset.

Still a problem after that, I'd probably replace the phone.

I hadn't done that, apparently I had 10 apps that had updates. I'll see what happens.

The APN stuff discussed earlier didn't help. In fact, with the new APN I couldn't even get the internet via wifi.

I'm leaving for a wheeling trip tomorrow morning and don't really want to deal with this while I'm away from home so I'm probably gonna do a factory reset tonight before I download all my maps.

Reactions: suicideking
@Zorba Reports no such issue with his 1989 issued bag phone
Don't you go dissin' my Bag Phone - your date isn't that far off. Had one for 18 years, and LOVED it. No battery worries, nice big numbers, and a REAL handset. Excellent range too - used it a few times 20 or 30 miles out to sea with an external antenna.

Last edited:
Reactions: P man