Any opinion on Kentrol TJ tailgate hinges?

chino1969

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Any opinions on the Kentrol tail gate hinges for a 2004 TJ? The MORrydes I ordered will not fit due to the Bestop 4X4 tire carrier already installed by PO. Would have loved to have used them but must now search for suitable alternatives.

Any opinions on the Kentrol tail gate hinges for a 2004 TJ? The MORrydes I ordered will not fit due to the Bestop 4X4 tire carrier already installed by PO. Would have loved to have used them but must now search for suitable alternatives.
Any pics of the problem fitting the MR hinges?

Any pics of the problem fitting the MR hinges?

No pics. The top hinge would not fit due to the top bracket of the Bestop 4X4 Heavy Duty Tire Carrier already installed. The foot print of the MR hinges is longer than the factory hinges, extending beyond the normal space they occupy.

No pics. The top hinge would not fit due to the top bracket of the Bestop 4X4 Heavy Duty Tire Carrier already installed. The foot print of the MR hinges is longer than the factory hinges, extending beyond the normal space they occupy.
Are there additional bolt holes in that extended portion? If there aren't then just cut it off where it interferes with the bestop part.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

If you could find a way to make the MORrydes fit, I installed them on my TJ when the stock ones rotted out and I love them definitely more HD over oem plus there's additional mounts sold for a HiLift which I also have and like a lot

Are there additional bolt holes in that extended portion? If there aren't then just cut it off where it interferes with the bestop part.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Not possible. Here's a pic of the MR hinge pivot point. This is into the Bestop bracket by at least an inch.

DSCN1544.JPG

If you could find a way to make the MORrydes fit, I installed them on my TJ when the stock ones rotted out and I love them definitely more HD over oem plus there's additional mounts sold for a HiLift which I also have and like a lot

I agree they are well made and solid but there is no way to use these with the Bestop tire carrier which I might add supports the tail gate as well. I would not have this problem if I did not drive with the tail gate open which sprung the top hinge. Don't ask how it happened. At any rate that is why I'm now looking at Kentrol hinges and opinions.

Last edited: