Any opinion on rugged ridge brand spare tire carrier?

Kathy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
image.jpg
image.jpg
looking at buying a heavy duty spare tire carrier and this rugged ridge is one option. Any opinions?

For what size spare tire? Many of them locate the spare tire further away from the tail gate it is mounted onto which places a lot more stress on the tailgate and its hinges.

Reactions: JP98
If you're doing it so that you can carry a really heavy tire, don't. The tires destroy the tailgate and hinges over time.

If you have something like an Exogate tire carrier that will fix the weight issue yet reuses the stock tire carrier mounting piece, then the Rugged ridge part would be fine for that duty.

I just looked up your tire size Kathy and the OE factory spare tire carrier isn't up to carrying a 33" spare. My factory spare tire carrier cracked and failed within about 6 weeks after installing a 33" tire on it. And while that Rugged Ridge carrier is stronger than the OE carrier is, it doesn't beef up the tail gate or hinges like the below recommended Exogate carrier does. Plus it likely positions the spare tire further away from the tailgate which applies more stress to (leverage against) the tailgate and factory hinges.

I'd go with Brantley's suggestion and install an Exogate spare tire carrier which is more than up to that size tire. One thing that's nice about the Exogate is that you don't have to unlatch it first to open the tail gate, it swings open with the tailgate. :)

This one... https://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/wrangler-lj-2/tj-lj-exogate

Last edited:
I just looked up your tire size Kathy and the OE factory spare tire carrier isn't up to carrying a 33" spare. My factory spare tire carrier cracked and failed within about 6 weeks after installing a 33" tire on it. And while that Rugged Ridge carrier is stronger than the OE carrier is, it doesn't beef up the tail gate or hinges like the below recommended Exogate carrier does. Plus it likely positions the spare tire further away from the tailgate which applies more stress to (leverage against) the tailgate and factory hinges.

I'd go with Brantley's suggestion and install an Exogate spare tire carrier which is more than up to that size tire. One thing that's nice about the Exogate is that you don't have to unlatch it first to open the tail gate, it swings open with the tailgate. :)

This one... https://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/wrangler-lj-2/tj-lj-exogate
Thank you Jerry. Do u recommend this over a bumper with a tire carrier attached? I do need a new bumper because mine is smashed on one size. Also need a hitch mount.

Do u recommend this over a bumper with a tire carrier attached? I do need a new bumper because mine is smashed on one size. Also need a hitch mount.
Absolutely, not many tire carriers attached to a bumper are built all that strongly. Most are flimsily designed and the hinge-point the swing-out rests on is seldom all that beefy. With the Exogate, you can run any bumper you want. Check out the US made $169 rear bumper with an integrated receiver hitch at http://www.thedirtworx.com/_p/prd13/1638368235/product/rear-bumper which is what I've run on two different TJs. High quality with a very beefy receiver hitch, especially given its low price.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
Absolutely, not many tire carriers attached to a bumper are built all that strongly. Most are flimsily designed and the hinge-point the swing-out rests on is seldom all that beefy. With the Exogate, you can run any bumper you want. Check out the US made $169 rear bumper with an integrated receiver hitch at http://www.thedirtworx.com/_p/prd13/1638368235/product/rear-bumper which is what I've run on two different TJs. High quality with a very beefy receiver hitch, especially given its low price.
I can vouch for this bumper. Very strong, mounts like it's supposed to, and looks great, and have already made good use of a very well-made hitch receiver:
img_0878-1-jpg.jpg

I will most likely add an Exogate tire carrier down the road. I've even had two very beefy integrated tire carrier/bumpers (that were very pricey) on previous Jeeps, and got really tired of opening them separately.

I can vouch for this bumper. Very strong, mounts like it's supposed to, and looks great, and have already made good use of a very well-made hitch receiver:
View attachment 17793
I will most likely add an Exogate tire carrier down the road. I've even had two very beefy integrated tire carrier/bumpers (that were very pricey) on previous Jeeps, and got really tired of opening them separately.
Always like seeing the Dirtworx rear bumper without the tire carrier on other TJ's. Only wants me to make that purchase faster than I need too!

I don't agree with Jerry, putting 400$ towards a bumper with carrier could get you easily into the money needed to over come his complaints. Especially when you need a bumper anyway. A good bumper with.. can go for 7-900$ a cheap bumber is still 300$

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I don't agree with Jerry, putting 400$ towards a bumper with carrier could get you easily into the money needed to over come his complaints. Especially when you need a bumper anyway. A good bumper with.. can go for 7-900$ a cheap bumber is still 300$

You get what you pay for. Any bumper with a carrier included (Smittybilt and other similar carriers come to mind) are generally junk. I have a smittybilt XRC carrier and that think is one big black hunk of crap. There's no bearing or anything on the spindle so I basically have to lift my whole carrier and tire to open and close it. It's junk and I can't wait to get rid of it.

The Exogate on the other hand is a very nice carrier that allows you to have one of the most convenient carriers around and allows you to retain the stock bumper until you deem it necessary to get something else, at which point you get to pick the exact bumper you want instead of being limited to whatever design comes with a carrier atop it.

It may cost more in the end, but again, you're getting something that's very likely junk if you're only paying $400 for a tire carrier/bumper combo, you're limited in selection, and it's not convenient at all having to open both separately.

So the Exogate actually comes with a spare tire carrier? I was told that it did NOT come with the actual tire carrier.

So the Exogate actually comes with a spare tire carrier? I was told that it did NOT come with the actual tire carrier.

It doesn't. But I bet Kathy probably has a fine stock carrier. Most people scroll through Quadratec and fall upon the "HD carrier" deal and think it's sufficient for larger tires, not considering the actual strength of the tailgate or hinges.

Or, maybe her stock carrier is falling apart in which case the Exogate would require her to buy a new carrier piece. I don't know.

It doesn't. But I bet Kathy probably has a fine stock carrier. Most people scroll through Quadratec and fall upon the "HD carrier" deal and think it's sufficient for larger tires, not considering the actual strength of the tailgate or hinges.

Or, maybe her stock carrier is falling apart in which case the Exogate would require her to buy a new carrier piece. I don't know.

I'd like to get the exogate, but I threw out the factory carrier a long time ago. I'd have to buy one then.

$400 bumper/tire carrier combo, while nice when new, will not last. Someone will likely chime with 'I've had mine for X years, no issues', but the general consensus is that those type just do not last, especially the hinge setup; been there, done that. If you really want a well-made bumper/tire carrier combo, it's going to set you back upwards of $1k or more. Then you still have to deal with opening the tailgate and tire carrier separately, although there are versions that integrate with the tailgate and open together. I have had both. FabFours, great bumper, with tire swing, but really got tired of opening them separately. Expedition One, another great bumper/tire carrier, this one opened with the tailgate, but would tend to come out of adjustment, and was a bit noisy at times. Both were over $1200.

Kathy originally asked about the Rugged Ridge bracket, but that seems to put too much weight out from the tailgate, risking damage to said gate. She also said she is looking to carry a 32" tire. I have a 32" tire on my stock tailgate, no issues. But for $309, she could have the Dirtworx rear bumper with hitch ($159) and would never need anything better, PLUS she could get the Exogate HD replacement TJ hinges ($150)

HingeComparison-500x375.png
which won't be the entire carrier setup, but would more than beef up her tailgate for a 32" tire (my plans this summer) with the option of adding the tailgate reinforcement, or the rest of the entire Exogate system should the need or desire arise. That would be light years ahead of a Smittybilt type bumper/tire carrier, even if only the bumper and the HD hinges. SB offers some items I would gladly have again; the SB bumper/tire carrier is not one of those items. Bumper yes, tire carrier no way.