Any prep needed for Fluid Film?

t00th

TJ Enthusiast
A shop near me in central PA recently began offering fluid film service. I believe it's something like $250. My understanding is that it penetrates existing rust and halts its progression. But does not remove it.

I have a little surface rust underneath. Frame is sound. Should I bother trying to wire wheel anything or just let the product do its job?

$250 fuck that ! i would wire wheel it, use rust inhibitor prime, repaint and use surface shield !!!!

Yeah that's what I said initially. Problem is I park on the street in a city, and til I do those four steps I'm gonna be in for it in time and materials anyway. And I've got some $$ set aside for preventative maintenance that I'm cool with spending. Been putting it off for years anyway (just a self-wash in the frame couple times a winter).

BTW nice sahara. Got the same color, '97. Just put the hard top back on.

Reactions: tr21triton
I’ve been bringing my Ram into New Hampshire Oil and and Undercoating once per year since new in 2019 (NHOU is a fluid film competitor product)
It costs about $200-$225 for a large vehicle (3/4 ton pickup). I think it’s $180 for cars.
After all these years I can say:
  • It does prevent rust, but not all of it
  • I’m glad I have been doing it
  • But I now realize there is no easy fix for rust and I will need to rinse after salt exposure, wire wheel and treat ongoing. And I can do this much, much cheaper applying product myself. And I can probably do a better job hitting areas that need if without all the overspray mess I am left with at these service centers.
So those are my lessons learned. If you’re lazy like me the $200 is the going rate and it will help. If you want it done right, save some money and get messy! That’s what I’ll be doing this fall

$250 fuck that ! i would wire wheel it, use rust inhibitor prime, repaint and use surface shield !!!!

This is currently on clearance at Autozone for $6 a can down from $13.xx I have been raiding a few Autozones to stock them

https://slickdeals.net/f/16945531-p...6-at-autozone-clearance?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1
OP you can buy 6 cans for $36 and do it yourself but frankly I feel you should instead treat the rust and then sealcoat the frame and what not with black cosmoline. Its military grade wax sealer

Fluid Film works good for inside panels, but undercarriage requires an annual upkeep respray

The best thing is to weekly wash your undercarriage in winter to remove any salt residue. I have a $20 a month unlimited car wash

I’ve been bringing my Ram into New Hampshire Oil and and Undercoating once per year since new in 2019 (NHOU is a fluid film competitor product)
It costs about $200-$225 for a large vehicle (3/4 ton pickup). I think it’s $180 for cars.
After all these years I can say:
  • It does prevent rust, but not all of it
  • I’m glad I have been doing it
  • But I now realize there is no easy fix for rust and I will need to rinse after salt exposure, wire wheel and treat ongoing. And I can do this much, much cheaper applying product myself. And I can probably do a better job hitting areas that need if without all the overspray mess I am left with at these service centers.
So those are my lessons learned. If you’re lazy like me the $200 is the going rate and it will help. If you want it done right, save some money and get messy! That’s what I’ll be doing this fall

Good to know I'm not too far off in price from what others are charging (albeit a different product in this case).

If I could do it from home I absolutely would. Getting it done is just a pill I'm willing to swallow. Of course, as you said, I do still plan to rinse and touch up as needed on my own.

Prep work is not as critical with Fluid Film as with more permanent products like Eastwood’s. If it is only a bit of surface rust, and if you have to park on the street, I don’t think I would bother with wire-wheeling before the application.

In case it’s useful, all I learned about rust products is written up here.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/sstjs-mostly-stock-97-se-2-5.50320/#post-886849

Great to know (and have my decision validated, hah). Thanks for the link! nice to see I'm making the right choice (not that there ever is only one right choice, right?)

This is currently on clearance at Autozone for $6 a can down from $13.xx I have been raiding a few Autozones to stock them

[URL]https://slickdeals.net/f/16945...6-at-autozone-clearance?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1[/URL]

OP you can buy 6 cans for $36 and do it yourself but frankly I feel you should instead treat the rust and then sealcoat the frame and what not with black cosmoline. Its military grade wax sealer

Fluid Film works good for inside panels, but undercarriage requires an annual upkeep respray

The best thing is to weekly wash your undercarriage in winter to remove any salt residue. I have a $20 a month unlimited car wash

I do 100% plan to stay on top of the undercarraige. that's part of my winter routine already. Maybe i'll just dial it back to less frequently once it's been coated.

Reactions: Andy-WhiteTJ
I haven't! But will make sure to. Location? Size?

Most people go an 1” past the front lower control arm mount, drilling a 1/2” hole, do the same for the rear, but go 1” in front of the mount.

In your case I would just power wash everything really good then fluid film away.