Any recommendations for an affordable skid plate replacement?

fender1punk

Rebuilding my jeep on the cheap. Was told skid plate for the transfer case/transmission (?) needs replacing. Any recommendations for a decent and inexpensive one? No plans to offroad. Mostly my fun/commuter vehicle.

Since you are on the cheap and don't plan to offroad you may find a used stock skid plate on CL or other sites. There are two different stock skid plates for the TJ, I believe the 1997-2002 are different from 2003-2006. Aftermarket skids tend to be expensive. What is making someone recommend replacement for your transfer case skid?

Yep make sure you get a 1997-2002 or 2003-2006 depending on what you have, they are different. Make sure you only go with a rubber transmission mount. Polyurethane mounts pass too much vibration into the passenger compartment.

From what I understand if your skid plate is rusted through you likely have more problems. The frame can be in bad shape and the nutserts that hold the mounting bolts may spin inside the frame making it hard to remove the bolts.

In my case the skid was easy to drop in the driveway with a jack stand to support the transmission and a floor jack to support the skid plate but I did not have significant rust to deal with.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I had the rust on the frame taken care of, but the shop wanted a rather large amount to replace the skid plate. I've replaced the transmission this year, and I'm low on surplus funds.

Just a stock used skid is plenty good enough for street use. Craigslist or Ebay should have 'em.

I'm new to this. However you think is best. Obviously it's a little too far for local pickup. I would pay for shipping, at the very least.

car-parts.com yards call them belly pans and are under transmission cross members in search and seem to go for 20.00 to 75.00 ...... that seems cheap to me !

That's for the early ones !