Any recommendations on which tie-rod ends to use?

Paul Scagliarini

So I watched the thread about replacing ball joints and have to say it was great. Clear and concise. Love the fact that you recommend decent parts. With that said,since I will be doing the break down,figure I will replace tie rod ends at the same time as the ball joints. Any recommendations for the tie rods to use?

Are you planing on upgrading to the ZJ tie rod or keeping the stock tie rod?

Are you planing on upgrading to the ZJ tie rod or keeping the stock tie rod?
Truck has a 4.5 lift from previous owner. They did do upgrade to steering linking and tie rods. But it this point, I know one end needs to be changed and the driver side ball joints so, figured I change all the tie rod ends while doing the ball joints. One member recommended MOOG.

Truck has a 4.5 lift from previous owner. They did do upgrade to steering linking and tie rods. But it this point, I know one end needs to be changed and the driver side ball joints so, figured I change all the tie rod ends while doing the ball joints. One member recommended MOOG.

Yes, Moog is a good brand.

You can find all the parts you need here: ZJ Tie Rod Conversion

Yes, Moog is a good brand.

You can find all the parts you need here: ZJ Tie Rod Conversion

Hey Chris, so I got all my parts as suggested for the conversion. I’m sitting in my kitchen as I will be doing the job this Saturday. What could be a really stupid question on my part but....... I have the two different tie rods, I have two of the same tie rod ends and I have ONE coupling, how am I attaching one of the rods to the tie rod end that is threaded.
As I say may be a stupid question, but, I don’t want everything broken down on Saturday and have to scramble for another coupling.
Thanks

Hey Chris, so I got all my parts as suggested for the conversion. I’m sitting in my kitchen as I will be doing the job this Saturday. What could be a really stupid question on my part but....... I have the two different tie rods, I have two of the same tie rod ends and I have ONE coupling, how am I attaching one of the rods to the tie rod end that is threaded.
As I say may be a stupid question, but, I don’t want everything broken down on Saturday and have to scramble for another coupling.
Thanks

Look at the stock steering setup before you take it off. These new parts will go on identical to the parts you take off, literally. In fact, the drag link (with the coupling) is identical to the one you already have only your vehicle, it's just the ZJ tie rod itself that is different. And even then, it's not so much that it's different, it's just thicker, that's all. But other than that, it's identical.

That's why I'm suggesting to use your stock steering as a reference point, since the new parts will go on identical to how the old ones came off.

Reactions: JMT
F8BA0A4A-0B55-47FB-89CA-F5987BB368BD.jpeg
23522029-51AC-4FB6-BCD0-5D22899FFCC7.jpeg
3CEF665E-21F9-4B2C-A7D9-C62993282F68.jpeg
1704F648-D965-4B28-B5BC-1141788095E8.jpeg
E6FAF095-10A4-403E-A0E3-18B4928CDBEA.jpeg
A21CDD5A-99AD-46D5-B8B2-858C9031C935.jpeg
6E638052-63E7-4CB9-A0C5-5B9AB2AE5294.jpeg
C92C8856-2561-4E06-8442-17CFD2453407.png
Look at the stock steering setup before you take it off. These new parts will go on identical to the parts you take off, literally. In fact, the drag link (with the coupling) is identical to the one you already have only your vehicle, it's just the ZJ tie rod itself that is different. And even then, it's not so much that it's different, it's just thicker, that's all. But other than that, it's identical.

That's why I'm suggesting to use your stock steering as a reference point, since the new parts will go on identical to how the old ones came off.

Chris, just took these photos. And pic of tie rod I bought from amazon. Tie rod is not the same. Amazon also states that it will not fit my 1999 wrangler?
What am I doing wrong.
BTW, thanks for your help with this.
Paul

View attachment 57043 View attachment 57042 View attachment 57041 View attachment 57040 View attachment 57039 View attachment 57038 View attachment 57037 View attachment 57036

Chris, just took these photos. And pic of tie rod I bought from amazon. Tie rod is not the same. Amazon also states that it will not fit my 1999 wrangler?
What am I doing wrong.
BTW, thanks for your help with this.
Paul

It WILL fit your TJ, guaranteed.

Amazon just says that because technically that tie-rod is meant for a Grand Cherokee and Amazon doesn't realize it's an "upgrade" part for the TJ. Amazon only lists it as fitting the vehicle it was used on, it doesn't take into consideration that it might work on other vehicles as an upgrade.

It fits, guaranteed.

0D8E1BF7-7A4C-4DFE-BE79-318CB1C59551.jpeg
0D8E1BF7-7A4C-4DFE-BE79-318CB1C59551.jpeg
View attachment 57044
It WILL fit your TJ, guaranteed.

Amazon just says that because technically that tie-rod is meant for a Grand Cherokee and Amazon doesn't realize it's an "upgrade" part for the TJ. Amazon only lists it as fitting the vehicle it was used on, it doesn't take into consideration that it might work on other vehicles as an upgrade.

It fits, guaranteed.

Ok. I figured that was the case when I ordered. So the rod in this picture attached is NOT getting replaced?

View attachment 57045 View attachment 57045 View attachment 57044

Ok. I figured that was the case when I ordered. So the rod in this picture attached is NOT getting replaced?
That rod in the picture IS getting replaced. That's the tie rod.

The drag link is the other piece that connects to the tie rod on one end, and the pitman arm / steering box on the other end.

The ZJ tie rod upgrades the tie rod you have, with the bigger and stronger tie rod from the ZJ Grand Cherokee.

BCC4122A-E5E6-4EA6-9D72-AEE78C7FC4DE.jpeg
E07715AF-C6A1-4720-ADF4-642BE3430BBD.jpeg
EC8D45D8-8A21-453E-9B95-541D2E877F6A.jpeg
Ok, so I was correct in my assessment. I’m 100% with the drag link to the pitman arm with a couple to attach the tie rod.
This is where I am losing the connection. The tie rod we just discussed has a tie rod on each end. One is already on the new tie rod with the other end threaded. How am I attaching a thread tie r9d end?it doesn’t work?

That’s a work of art!!
According to the post. I only needed one adjusting sleeve and that’s at the pitman arm. That what started by whole conversation. The recommended tie rod has a tie rod end permently on it and a threaded male at the other end. So I figured I needed another sleeve.
Chris is saying no?
I’m a total novice so I’m lost at this point. Really thinking about sending everything back and order the Currie. Skip this weekend.