Any recommended brand / type of bump stops?

sertshark

I realize I won't know the size bump stops I will need until I cycle the suspension, but I'm willing to take a chance buy purchasing some ahead of time (and returning/exchanging them if they won't work out). I am HOPING I won't have to keep my TJ on jack stands while waiting for parts to come in, so I'd like to avoid waiting to order if at all possible. I have it narrowed down to 2" springs with the 0-2" Rancho shocks (I have 31" tires). Are there any bump stops you'd recommend that are trimmable/stackable (and is there one you prefer?) No offense to those that used them, but I don't think I want to go the hockey puck route.

1714146333015.png

Prothane coil spring inserts are poor man's air bumps. They were fantastic on my XJ and I'll put them on my TJ when I go down to 4" springs.

Takes a little bit to get them set up but it's worth it

View attachment 521971

Prothane coil spring inserts are poor man's air bumps. They were fantastic on my XJ and I'll put them on my TJ when I go down to 4" springs.

Takes a little bit to get them set up but it's worth it

Those look nice. I can't imagine them taking any longer than other bump stops to install though, right?

Last edited:
I realize I won't know the size bump stops I will need until I cycle the suspension, but I'm willing to take a chance buy purchasing some ahead of time (and returning/exchanging them if they won't work out). I am HOPING I won't have to keep my TJ on jack stands while waiting for parts to come in, so I'd like to avoid waiting to order if at all possible. I have it narrowed down to 2" springs with the 0-2" Rancho shocks (I have 31" tires). Are there any bump stops you'd recommend that are trimmable/stackable (and is there one you prefer?) No offense to those that used them, but I don't think I want to go the hockey puck route.

For my own curiosity why don’t you like the hockey puck route?

Reactions: TheBoogieman

31s fit on stock jeeps and if those 0-2" shocks collapse to a similar length to stock then i see no reason to alter your factory bumpstops. Unless you want less travel and that harsh bottoming out feel.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
For my own curiosity why don’t you like the hockey puck route?

I'm not totally against it. I heard they don't necessarily fit within the rear spring, and you have to shave them down a bit. I guess I felt something made to fit would be easier....

31s fit on stock jeeps and if those 0-2" shocks collapse to a similar length to stock then i see no reason to alter your factory bumpstops. Unless you want less travel and that harsh bottoming out feel.

That's exactly what I thought too. In fact, the few shops I called for an estimate made no mention of purchasing/installing bumpstops when I told them it was a 2" lift... I knows this will go against the popular opinion, but I thought of just putting 1-2" in, as a "just in case" measure. I won't be doing anything more than logging roads and lightly washed out areas. Looking at the Ranchos I want, they collapse at just about the same length as stock shocks.

Last edited:
I'm not totally against it. I heard they don't necessarily fit within the rear spring, and you have to shave them down a bit. I guess I felt something made to fit would be easier....

Personally I kept them the standard 3” diameter and they barely hang over the edge and I never had any need to shave them down. I use a combination of hockey pucks and some 3” diameter 1/4” thick aluminum discs so that I can fine tune them.

In the front I needed what is I believe either 2-1/4 or 3-1/4” of additional bumpstop. 2-3 hockey pucks and a aluminum top piece looks pretty good and is cheap.

Personally I kept them the standard 3” diameter and they barely hang over the edge and I never had any need to shave them down. I use a combination of hockey pucks and some 3” diameter 1/4” thick aluminum discs so that I can fine tune them.

In the front I needed what is I believe either 2-1/4 or 3-1/4” of additional bumpstop. 2-3 hockey pucks and a aluminum top piece looks pretty good and is cheap.

Thank you for the info. How much lift did you do?