Any small business owners out there?

I agree with you, having your own business isn't an easy thing at all. It's really the work for those who have clear goals for it, passion and patience. But I can say from my own experience that when you like what you do, even the hardest things can be really enjoyable.
I can add from my own experience that for running any successful business the most important things are:
- always having a well-made business plan and following it (it's especially important in the very beginning)
- being creative and always ready to improvise (your business plan is a basis but it can't solve unexpected issues and problems)
- keeping track of everything and developing a good management system (it's one of the basic things for successful functioning of every company too)
- providing various tech innovations fast (for modern business it's one of the most important things too because technology always makes it more effective and profitable, for example principles of predictive analytics in case of apps and other software are very helpful for choosing and correcting your marketing strategy, creating stronger connection with customers and so on)
- having a good communication with your work team, clients and partners (the direct type is usually the most effective way)

Reactions: KCsTJ and Ericict
I worked at a very popular breakfast joint in the southeast for 10 yrs.. decided to do it for myself and bought a small diner/drive in. My wife and I started working together(that’s a new experience and another story) and have successfully celebrated our 2 year anniversary at the restaurant. I can’t tell you enough how terrifying and exciting this can be knowing you are relying on your own experience and customers in order to pay bills. It has some draw backs but all in all, best decision I have ever made... and selling my JK for a TJ🤣

Last edited:
I've been so torn over this for years now and have been talking with the wife about making the leap. Thing is I really love what I do.. If I went back in time to my 18 year old self to explain what I'm doing now in my 40s the 18 year old wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

However, the reality of working for a massive corporation, regardless of you skillset/job, is that at the end of the day you're a number on a spreadsheet. The longer I do it the louder the voice in my head gets reminding me that I'm working for someone else's goals. Kind of a bummer.

Reactions: Jack72
The longer I do it the louder the voice in my head gets reminding me that I'm working for someone else's goals. Kind of a bummer.

I was kind of forced into working for myself right out of the box given a whole lot of factors but it was great, there’s nothing like it both good and bad. I then did a very lengthy (15 year) stint working for someone, another long story, but 10 years ago I lost that & went back into business for myself, never looked back.

It can be flat out terrifying at times, laying your future and your fortune on the line with no safety net, but being in command of your own destiny rather than being a byproduct of decisions made in another room in another building in another city by other people with other interests is even scarier.

My advice, slip free from the velvet handcuffs & scare the shit out of yourself – you’ll come back to life.

• Love
Reactions: Ericict
I've been so torn over this for years now and have been talking with the wife about making the leap. Thing is I really love what I do.. If I went back in time to my 18 year old self to explain what I'm doing now in my 40s the 18 year old wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

However, the reality of working for a massive corporation, regardless of you skillset/job, is that at the end of the day you're a number on a spreadsheet. The longer I do it the louder the voice in my head gets reminding me that I'm working for someone else's goals. Kind of a bummer.

22 years at a Fortune 500 in a senior mgr position. I loved my job, but then we were bought out, the culture changed. It was slow, but definite. I continued to love what I did, but started to not agree with the direction as a whole. As I walked the floor I noticed people were no longer saying good morning or looking up. Most looked at the floor to avoid eye contact. It was very strange, and not the culture I had grown up in. I knew my days were numbered at that point. I oversaw many RIF's (24) and knew it was coming soon.

We got a new SRVP and that was it. I played my cards right and got a nice separation package to go away. I did and tried to figure out who I was. As I did, old customers found me and encouraged me to start my company. I am so thankful I did it. I don't sleep better, I don't have the security that was there and many other things. I do own my time, and love what I do. My suggestion, jump in, its scary, there are lots of sharks that will eat you if you give them a chance, but if you can make it work, it is the most rewarding thing a person can do.

For me, driving in my nice car is like my old corporate job and the Topless/Doorless Jeep is being self employed. Hair (whats left of it) blowing in the wind and taking what is thrown at you. Freedom.

I have been doing Managed IT services for small businesses for about 15 years. I have had employees on and off, but right now it is just me. Offer competitive rates and focus on customer service, that is the key. In IT (and a LOT of small businesses) you have to be competent of course, but you have to realize it is a service no matter what you are selling, and customers stick with you because of the service you provide, not because I am some star It guy. There are 100 guys in Portland that do what I do, I differentiate myself by being good at serving the customer. They keep using me because I do good work, but mostly because they like to work with me and I make their job easier. I think especially in IT services people forget that and treat customers/users poorly. Everything in life is sales and customer service no matter what you do.

Most days now I just make it though and kind of hate it (I think I am way burned out after 15 years with no vacations), but I can't imagine going to work for someone else while taking a pretty big pay cut. Also, at almost 50 I am not at the top of the hiring pool any more. I go back and forth on trying to grow, or just riding out the next 10-15 years at the size I am at now. Growth is hard and takes a lot of time, but it would be nice to have a business to sell at some point, and not just try to save enough to retire and close down. My kids have no interest in the business, so I don't have to worry about having something left over for them to take. They are both heading successfully into other fields, and for that I am happy, but now I know how my father felt when I did not take over his home building business.

One of my biggest pet peeves was being invited to a "business owners" group when I was starting out only to arrive and find out that except for the guy who was running a yard service (super nice guy) they were all real estate agents and mortgage lenders with some fortune 500 company on their business cards. I am sorry, but you are not "self employed" or a "small business" when you are selling houses or mortgages for a big company, your a contract sales agent. This was 13 years ago and it still pisses me off.

Well, that was probably TMI, but it is typed out now, so might as well post it.

Reactions: Jack72 and Ericict
I have been doing Managed IT services for small businesses for about 15 years. I have had employees on and off, but right now it is just me. Offer competitive rates and focus on customer service, that is the key. In IT (and a LOT of small businesses) you have to be competent of course, but you have to realize it is a service no matter what you are selling, and customers stick with you because of the service you provide, not because I am some star It guy. There are 100 guys in Portland that do what I do, I differentiate myself by being good at serving the customer. They keep using me because I do good work, but mostly because they like to work with me and I make their job easier. I think especially in IT services people forget that and treat customers/users poorly. Everything in life is sales and customer service no matter what you do.

Most days now I just make it though and kind of hate it (I think I am way burned out after 15 years with no vacations), but I can't imagine going to work for someone else while taking a pretty big pay cut. Also, at almost 50 I am not at the top of the hiring pool any more. I go back and forth on trying to grow, or just riding out the next 10-15 years at the size I am at now. Growth is hard and takes a lot of time, but it would be nice to have a business to sell at some point, and not just try to save enough to retire and close down. My kids have no interest in the business, so I don't have to worry about having something left over for them to take. They are both heading successfully into other fields, and for that I am happy, but now I know how my father felt when I did not take over his home building business.

One of my biggest pet peeves was being invited to a "business owners" group when I was starting out only to arrive and find out that except for the guy who was running a yard service (super nice guy) they were all real estate agents and mortgage lenders with some fortune 500 company on their business cards. I am sorry, but you are not "self employed" or a "small business" when you are selling houses or mortgages for a big company, your a contract sales agent. This was 13 years ago and it still pisses me off.

Well, that was probably TMI, but it is typed out now, so might as well post it.

IT and have not had a vacation? My wife (she is IT) and I both need the computers to do our jobs and make sure we have everything set up so we can take the show on the road. We travel a lot, but understand we will always work, but there is nothing that says I have to do it in my office. Spent almost 3 months out of country in the last 365 and still worked. It sounds like you need a vacation...bad.

After 5 years and not making any money I finally closed down. I was the only snowplow service in Miami Florida and still never got 1 single service call.

LOL, smart man...TJ was company owned and all mods were tax write offs. Sounds like my security system. Need training and a new sidearm, hits the taxes for the business because of travel.

IT and have not had a vacation? My wife (she is IT) and I both need the computers to do our jobs and make sure we have everything set up so we can take the show on the road. We travel a lot, but understand we will always work, but there is nothing that says I have to do it in my office. Spent almost 3 months out of country in the last 365 and still worked. It sounds like you need a vacation...bad.

Ya, 90% of my work is remote now and that is a godsend over the old days of spending 3-4 hours per day in traffic, but I still have to provide on-site support for hardware, anything that breaks the internet connection and emergencies. Providing managed services means on-site emergencies are few and far between (if I am doing my job correctly that's the goal), but going out of town is just stressful because I am constantly worried about missing a call or email. Sometimes I envy friends and family who can take a vacation and just walk away from anything work related for 2 week at a time care free. I guess this would be the biggest reason to grow the business for me, so I can leave and have an employee or employees to handle the load for short periods.

Honestly, I am just bitchin' about life I guess. I am not kidding anyone who knows me, I could never go back to working for some bipsh!t boss. I mean, when it comes right down to it, isn't that why we are all self employed/small businesses? Bosses suck.

Ya, 90% of my work is remote now and that is a godsend over the old days of spending 3-4 hours per day in traffic, but I still have to provide on-site support for hardware, anything that breaks the internet connection and emergencies. Providing managed services means on-site emergencies are few and far between (if I am doing my job correctly that's the goal), but going out of town is just stressful because I am constantly worried about missing a call or email. Sometimes I envy friends and family who can take a vacation and just walk away from anything work related for 2 week at a time care free. I guess this would be the biggest reason to grow the business for me, so I can leave and have an employee or employees to handle the load for short periods.

Honestly, I am just bitchin' about life I guess. I am not kidding anyone who knows me, I could never go back to working for some bipsh!t boss. I mean, when it comes right down to it, isn't that why we are all self employed/small businesses? Bosses suck.

I get it. I took my land line to VIOP, and have an international hotspot. I can answer my land line on my computer or my cell and we have a server at the house with all important stuff on it and get to remotely. My first time away was stressful as hell. Then I realized I didn't miss a thing. I was setup to operate where ever I am. I too have many clients that "need me on site", but when I tell them I will be on vacation they say call me when you get back. Find a 1099 employee you can call if you need an onsite and you're not available. I've got three here at the home base. Stop bitchin and take a vacation. I am sure you have earned it. As a business owner, you are never off, but you can control where and how much.

Reactions: gbirk
My advice, slip free from the velvet handcuffs & scare the shit out of yourself – you’ll come back to life.

Don't misunderstand me, I feel very far from dead. The conundrum is that, despite waking up every morning excited to go do what I do, I still have this annoying gnawing rat inside me saying "do something on your own". I don't have any real complaints about my company, I make more than enough to support my family's lifestyle even with my wife staying home, and I get to do stuff every day that a lot of people would pay to tag along and just watch. It's great, except that it's just not my own thing.

I also don't know what the hell I would do. Start my own international aerospace defense contracting corporation?

I'd probably just start a sprinkler company. I can NEVER get those fuckers to show up when they say they're going to, and when they do they ask to borrow tools.

Don't misunderstand me, I feel very far from dead. The conundrum is that, despite waking up every morning excited to go do what I do, I still have this annoying gnawing rat inside me saying "do something on your own". I don't have any real complaints about my company, I make more than enough to support my family's lifestyle even with my wife staying home, and I get to do stuff every day that a lot of people would pay to tag along and just watch. It's great, except that it's just not my own thing.

I also don't know what the hell I would do. Start my own international aerospace defense contracting corporation?

I'd probably just start a sprinkler company. I can NEVER get those fuckers to show up when they say they're going to, and when they do they ask to borrow tools.

Sorry, just sounded like a cry for help :LOL:. But yea, that annoying rat gnawing at you is actually your soul revolting as I believe we were built to be hunters living by our wits & any other scenario, no matter how good it may be, just doesn’t feel right, though I’d love to be employed as a star running back in the NFL 🏈. When I was employed I just suppressed all that thinking that once I crossed the finish line into retirement it would no longer matter & hell, if things zigged instead of zagging I'd probably still be on that path.

You bring up another good point, some professions really don’t lend themselves to anything but employment & you’re in one so absent some other skill or passion you’re likely in it for the long haul; there certainly are much worse ways to go through life than making good money doing something you enjoy. My ex-wife was a 6th grade science teacher, not a whole lot of them opening up their own schools either…

absent some other skill or passion you’re likely in it for the long haul;

You know, I did fix cars for about a decade and have a degree in it and such... Problem is that I'm a car guy and doing that really is my passion, so it's the last thing I want to do for a living. When I was turning wrenches I always drove a shit beater and avoided touching anything automotive in my off-time. It took leaving the industry to realize how much I really loved it, and now that I have my tools at home in my garage I actually look forward to the next project. I think mixing passion w/ business isn't always the best idea.

Plus if I owned a shop I'd probably have to talk to upset people about their stupid car problems. That shit is the worst. It's not my fault your brakes are squealing and your MIL is on, cut the attitude. You think I'm charging too much? Enroll yourself in a votech program, spend $15k in tools, and find a stall to rent.

I'm also not a people person so customer service is out, probably more the "silent partner" type.

You know, I did fix cars for about a decade and have a degree in it and such... Problem is that I'm a car guy and doing that really is my passion, so it's the last thing I want to do for a living. When I was turning wrenches I always drove a shit beater and avoided touching anything automotive in my off-time. It took leaving the industry to realize how much I really loved it, and now that I have my tools at home in my garage I actually look forward to the next project. I think mixing passion w/ business isn't always the best idea.

Plus if I owned a shop I'd probably have to talk to upset people about their stupid car problems. That shit is the worst. It's not my fault your brakes are squealing and your MIL is on, cut the attitude. You think I'm charging too much? Enroll yourself in a votech program, spend $15k in tools, and find a stall to rent.

I'm also not a people person so customer service is out, probably more the "silent partner" type.

Don't make your passion your job. Doing so will make you hate your passion.

Yes. Why not? There are a number of people who need help in this area. Think sub prime suppliers...tier2, 3. Lots of new tech (composite, 3D printing, computer tech...) out there and they need someone to connect them and guide them to the primes. WHY NOT YOU?
I have an aviation corporation and many times there is short term contract wok that is just gravy to our normal operations and have clients all over the world. I am sure there is an under-represented segment with-in that industry that needs help.

Case in point;
A couple of years ago, I took over my parents Ad-Specialty company. I didn't like how they ran it because they had not changed the way they operated it from inception. It didn't grow with the times. What I found, was there were a number of mid-size companies (2-5mil ann. sales) that were not being serviced. They would go to the net and find what they needed and buy it. This is now the market I focus on. Too small for the Ntl. companies to worry about and too big for people who don't have the money to support the operations at that level. Every industry has the same issue---Parts that fall thru the cracks-— find it (fill the cracks) and work the crap out of it.