Any tips on installing lifters on a 2.5?

WJT

I am replacing the lifters on my 2000 Jeep with the 2.5l engine. I know on the 4.0l you have to remove the head but on the 2.5l you don’t. I have taken the old lifter out and currently have 2 new ones back in. I still need to put 6 in but I can’t get them to go back into the holes. I have been working on it for a few hrs and can’t get another in. Any tips on getting the rest in?

I’m using one of the long magnets on the flexible handle. I can get it into place it’s just not sliding down into the hole.

Something like this is what I used on my 2.5 as it gets a firm grip on the lifter. Usually readily available at most parts stores. Just FYI, it helps if you jack up the rear of the trans a bit by tipping the engine to get better access to the two rear lifters.

lifter.jpg

is there a reason that they are not going into the holes? how can i clean the inside of it to mke sure there isnt anything small blocking them from going in that i cant tell from just looking at it?

I suspect the magnet setup may be a bit sloppy when trying to slip them in. I had to play with mine a bit to get them to slide in. I was literally laying on the engine with a good flashlight as I was slipping them in.

Reactions: WJT
im definitly getting the right tool for it like you mentioned. is there any way i can clean it out also?
The bores for the lifters have to be clean if the old one came out so I would not believe that is an issue with the installation.

Reactions: WJT