Anybody into Powerlifting/Weightlifting

Damazzaro

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Just curious how many others do Powerlifting/Weightlifting and how serious you might take it, or just some of your experiences with it.

I've been into weight lifting, mixed some Olympic lifts for about 4 years, but recently got into Powerlifting in the last year. It's crazy how strong the human body can actually get when you stick to a program and really devote a lot of energy to it. Really true when people say being healthy is a lifestyle change and not just going through the motions of exercise.

Reactions: JMT and Starrs
Fighting the on/off workout program. Need the "consistent" program lol! You are correct, definitely a lifestyle change, especially with the eating part of it! Glad your finding success in it! Our health is the greatest gift we can give ourselves, and others!

I lift weights 3 times a week and do a cardio MTB ride 1-2 times a week. This has been going on about a year now. I did it when I was younger, till I was 22, now I’m 44, so I lost a lot and lived a pretty sedentary life for a long time. Fortunately I didn’t get fat during that time. I’m gaining muscle weight and heart is stronger

Always lived by the ‘do something today that your body will thank you for 30 years from now’ adage.

Never did power lifting but I’ve been exercising since around middle school, a minimum baseline of low tech resistance 3 times per week (pushups, pullups, weights…) & walking and/or running at least 5 miles a day, 7 days a week. I’m 52 now so this has been going on nearly 40 years & as a result I weigh in a little less than when I graduated high school in 1984 (145lbs then, 137lbs now) which I attribute to being more muscular back then & probably eating 3 times as much food.

Fighting the on/off workout program. Need the "consistent" program lol! You are correct, definitely a lifestyle change, especially with the eating part of it! Glad your finding success in it! Our health is the greatest gift we can give ourselves, and others!

Exactly! What you choose to do to stay fit is irrelevant, the only relevant consideration is consistency so to be successful you must absolutely, unequivocally do something you enjoy otherwise you’ll never stick to it long term.

Once you do this long enough it’s no longer working out or exercise, it’s just an automatic part of your life

Reactions: Damazzaro and JMT
Just did my second powerlifting meet this weekend actually. Competed at 47 years old, 215lbs. Got a 375lb squat, 336lb bench press, and a 585lb deadlift. Below is a vid of my 585lb deadlift. Form went to crap on the lift but that happens sometimes pushing for that 1 rep max I guess. Anyway, if you’ve never competed, it’s a really fun experience. Everybody I’ve met have been super cool and very welcoming to beginners.

Last edited:
Just did my second powerlifting meet this weekend actually. Competed at 215lbs. Got a 375lb squat, 336lb bench press, and a 585lb deadlift. Below is a vid of my 585lb deadlift. Form went to crap on the lift but that happens sometimes pushing for that 1 rep max I guess. Anyway, if you’ve never competed, it’s a really fun experience. Everybody I’ve met have been super cool and very welcoming to beginners.

I'm envious man! I've really been getting that itch to sign up for a Powerlifting comp but have always pushed it back for some reason or another. I've keep telling myself once you get above an X amount total you'll sign up, but then I never do. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger for one in December.

Always lived by the ‘do something today that your body will thank you for 30 years from now’ adage.

Once you do this long enough it’s no longer working out or exercise, it’s just an automatic part of your life

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing. I'm only 22 now but want to continue these lifestyle choices my entire life. Always enjoy hearing stories about someone who's been living the lifestyle for longer than I've lived.

Just do it. You’ll have a blast. Only numbers I really worried about were just beating my own personal records. One of the women I train with literally opened her bench with 55lbs, which is just the empty bar and the collars. Big or small, young or old, there’s always gonna be people lifting more than you. I went and watched a meet before doing my first and it was a good way to get familiar with the rules and commands, and just get a general feel for things. You’ll be nervous as all get out the first time, but after your first lift the nerves go away and it’s jiat a lotta fun after that.

I will say this, my family and I went to Six Flags First TX this last weekend and spent a good portion of our day in the waterpark. There were so many out of shape people, it was overwhelming. I'm not judging, but I am saying, my goodness, this is ridiculous, so many people don't take care of themselves. It was really depressing. Of the 3% that did look decent, 90% were female. Guys, my goodness, C'mon!

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and UpperMI
@Bababooey

Going to be registering for my first meet in January. Got a close friend to register with me to help with the nerves. Also today I wanted to see where my squat was, even though the meet is so far away I'm excited!

Reactions: Starrs
That’s a good squat, especially at that body weight. Looks like you had plenty more in the tank too. You’ll have a lot of fun at the meet. Nerves will go mostly away after the first squat and then it’s just lots of fun. Start practicing your lifts with the commands in mind. Seen a lot of people make their lifts, but get red lights for racking too early or forgetting other commands. Which league are you competing in?

That’s a good squat, especially at that body weight. Looks like you had plenty more in the tank too. You’ll have a lot of fun at the meet. Nerves will go mostly away after the first squat and then it’s just lots of fun. Start practicing your lifts with the commands in mind. Seen a lot of people make their lifts, but get red lights for racking too early or forgetting other commands. Which league are you competing in?

Currently going in USAPL but might do a USPA meet at the end of the year. Just working out which one would be more convenient for my friend and me.

Nice. I’ve done a couple USPA meets here in Colorado. All the staff and lifters were super welcoming to us new guys. There are some good videos/sites too if you google “what to expect first powerlifting meet”. Have fun and give this thread an update with your numbers after you compete. Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: Damazzaro
I will say this, my family and I went to Six Flags First TX this last weekend and spent a good portion of our day in the waterpark. There were so many out of shape people, it was overwhelming. I'm not judging, but I am saying, my goodness, this is ridiculous, so many people don't take care of themselves. It was really depressing. Of the 3% that did look decent, 90% were female. Guys, my goodness, C'mon!

This is so true. When I travel back to the Midwest to see my family I see so many middle Aged Men that don’t take care of themselves. It’s not hard, cut down on the high calory fried/fatty foods and move every day.

Reactions: JMT
I lift and run on a regular basis, 4-6 times a week. Its just how Ive always been. I usually flucuate betwen 12-16% body fat.

Im naturally an active and big guy, plus its my escape from the world

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've lifted for over 50 years (I'm OLD, really old). To me it's beyond a habit. Different equipment, weight limits, reps, routines as I age. But it's allowed me to be able to continue to backpack and hike some great spots around the country (actually world). Use my 04 TJ in the Northwest (almost all Oregon) and 16 Subaru Crosstrek for the rest of the country to find some awesome spots.

And Damazzaro, that is a good squat at your weight. And you looked pretty comfortable doing it. FYI - I peaked out in my mid 40's at 350#, with my weight in the mid 160's. So keep it up you'll just keep getting better.

I've lifted for over 50 years (I'm OLD, really old). To me it's beyond a habit. Different equipment, weight limits, reps, routines as I age. But it's allowed me to be able to continue to backpack and hike some great spots around the country (actually world). Use my 04 TJ in the Northwest (almost all Oregon) and 16 Subaru Crosstrek for the rest of the country to find some awesome spots.

And Damazzaro, that is a good squat at your weight. And you looked pretty comfortable doing it. FYI - I peaked out in my mid 40's at 350#, with my weight in the mid 160's. So keep it up you'll just keep getting better.

Thank you! I hope to be continuing physical activities 50 years from now. Both of my parents have been very active their entire lives and it truly shows when you compare them to their friends.

I lift and run on a regular basis, 4-6 times a week. Its just how Ive always been. I usually flucuate betwen 12-16% body fat.

Im naturally an active and big guy, plus its my escape from the world

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I always tell myself I'll run more but hardly do. And to think I used to run cross country and track. Maybe doing it competitively just made me lose interest in it.

Thank you! I hope to be continuing physical activities 50 years from now. Both of my parents have been very active their entire lives and it truly shows when you compare them to their friends.

I always tell myself I'll run more but hardly do. And to think I used to run cross country and track. Maybe doing it competitively just made me lose interest in it.

I can relate to that. When I got out of the Army I refused to go for runs anymore, the Army made me hate it. I recently about a month and a half ago got back into long distance running. I enjoy it now, that its free will and all