Anybody up for a random meme dump?

20240101_141609.jpg

Is this really a thing? I'm not much on Nanny State laws, but my Mother and her fucking cigarettes...

I've heard about it but don't know for a fact that it's real. I do know if you've got kids with raspatory issues then it can be considered child endangerment. You can't smoke in your home of car.
You'd have to check state by state I'd guess.

Edit: And You thought CA was bad.... This is for running a foster home.

https://app.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=110-148-1495

What are the requirements for smoking around children?​

(1) You must not allow smoking in your home. You must not smoke in motor vehicles used to transport children.
(2) You may permit adults to smoke outdoors away from children in accordance with RCW 70.160.075.
(3) These requirements do not apply to traditional or spiritual Native Alaskan/Native American or religious ceremonies involving the use of tobacco.

OK here is a little more but I don't see what year this was written.

BANS ON SMOKING IN VEHICLES CARRYING CHILDREN

Arkansas

The law bars smoking in motor vehicles carrying children under age 14 (Ark. Rev. Code § 20-27-1903). A violator may be fined up to $25, but first-time offenders can avoid paying the fine by showing proof they are taking part in a smoking-cessation program. The law does not apply to buses (including school buses) and other public conveyances legally required to have passenger restraint systems.

California

The law bars smoking in a motor vehicle, whether moving or stopped, when a minor (under age 18) is present (Cal. Health and Safety Code § 118947 et seq.). A violation is punishable by a fine of up to $100. A law enforcement officer cannot stop a vehicle solely to determine whether a driver is violating this law.

Louisiana

The law bars smoking in a motor vehicle where there is a child (under age 13) in a child safety or booster seat, or wearing a seat belt, regardless of whether the windows are open or closed (La. Rev. Stat. § 32:300.4). The law applies to cars, passenger vans, and pick-up trucks. Violators are subject to a fine of up to $150 or, at the judge's discretion, at least 24 hours of community service. Violation of this provision is considered a primary offense, which means a law enforcement officer may stop a motor vehicle solely because of a violation. But the officer may not search or inspect a motor vehicle, its contents, the driver, or a passenger solely because of a violation of this provision. A violation is a nonmoving violation, and a citation issued by an officer cannot be included on the driver's operating record.

Maine

The law bars an operator or passenger from smoking in a motor vehicle when a child under age 16 is present, regardless of whether the windows are open or closed (22 Me. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 1549). Violators are subject to a $50 fine, although a law enforcement officer may instead issue a warning. An officer may not search or inspect a motor vehicle, its contents, its driver, or a passenger solely because of a violation of this provision. A violation is a nonmoving violation.

Oregon

The law bars smoking in a motor vehicle when a child under age 18 is present (Ore. Rev. Stat. § 811.193). A first offense is a class D traffic violation, punishable by a fine of up to $250. A second or subsequent offense is a class C traffic violation, punishable by a fine of up to $500. A police officer may enforce this provision only if the officer has already stopped and detained the driver for a separate traffic violation or other offense.

Utah

The law generally prohibits smoking in a motor vehicle if a child age 15 or younger is a passenger (Utah Code Ann. § 41-6a-1717). But this ban does not apply if the (1) person is operating a convertible or open-body type motor vehicle and (2) roof is in the open-air mode.

A violation is an infraction, subject to a fine of up to $45. The court may suspend the fine for a first-time offender who proves to the court that he or she has enrolled in a smoking-cessation program.

The law provides that a police officer may enforce this provision only as a secondary action when the vehicle has been detained for a suspected violation of another motor vehicle law or other offense.

The law also specifies that a violation may not be used as a basis for or evidence of child abuse or neglect.

Vermont

The law prohibits possessing a lighted tobacco product in a motor vehicle that is occupied by a child under age eight required to be properly restrained in a child passenger restraining system (Vt. Stat. Ann. title 23, § 1134b). A violation is subject to a fine of up to $100. No points are assessed for violations.

Puerto Rico

The law bars smoking in a private transportation vehicle in which there is a child under age 13 or in a car seat (P.R. Laws Ann. title 24, § 892(u)). Violators face a maximum $250 fine for a first offense (P.R. Laws Ann. title 24, § 898).

https://publichealthlawcenter.org/s...ons-Chart-Smoking-With-Children-Cars-2017.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: reddvltj
I do know if you've got kids with respiratory issues then it can be considered child endangerment. You can't smoke in your home of car.
Yea. My late mother couldn't figure out why I had HORRID childhood asthma. When confronted as an adult, she denied that her 2-1/2 pack per day habit had anything whatsoever to do with it. o_O