Anybody use a steering stabilizer with Currie Currectlync steering?

RD3

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I just installed the CE-9701 HD steering on my TJ, oh man I don't even know where to begin on how much improvement. I'd still like to add a steering dampener for its intended purpose, not to cure any steering issues as I don't have any. With the larger diameter of the HD system it doesn't seem like a steering stabilizer will fit. Have any of you overcome this and found something that will work?
thanks

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
I just installed the CE-9701 HD steering on my TJ, oh man I don't even know where to begin on how much improvement. I'd still like to add a steering dampener for its intended purpose, not to cure any steering issues as I don't have any. With the larger diameter of the HD system it doesn't seem like a steering stabilizer will fit. Have any of you overcome this and found something that will work?
thanks
Would love to follow and know from another forum member as I am planning on purchases this steering and continuing use of an aftermarket steering stabilizer.

thanks

Yea I just installed mine and used a fox steering stabilizer. I also love the setup!

IMG_0102.JPG

Any common steering stabilizer will fit on the Currie steering system, Currie includes a bracket and u-bolts in the kit to secure the driver's side of the stabilizer to the drag link. Didn't you get those parts in your kit?

Reactions: xxdabroxx
Any common steering stabilizer will fit on the Currie steering system, Currie includes a bracket and u-bolts in the kit to secure the driver's side of the stabilizer to the drag link. Didn't you get those parts in your kit?
I did get those parts. The shop regearing my front diff put in the steering for me while they had it on the rack. They told me that they weren't able to put my new stabilizer on because the larger diameter of the steering shaft. I didn't try it myself yet. I just didn't want to order another stabilizer until I knew which ones would work. Sounds like maybe they were wrong?

I did get those parts. The shop regearing my front diff put in the steering for me while they had it on the rack. They told me that they weren't able to put my new stabilizer on because the larger diameter of the steering shaft. I didn't try it myself yet. I just didn't want to order another stabilizer until I knew which ones would work. Sounds like maybe they were wrong?
It sounds to me like they didn't know what they were doing and they had no experience with the Currie steering system. Heck I'm strictly an amateur mechanic and I was able to figure that out on mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: xxdabroxx and RD3
I can't imagine why the shop said that. Looks like a bracket mounted with 2 u-bolts, supplied by Currie for their drag link, which the steering damper bolts to...

I can't imagine why the shop said that. Looks like a bracket mounted with 2 u-bolts, supplied by Currie for their drag link, which the steering damper bolts to...
Yeah I don't know either. Guess they just weren't familiar with Currie maybe. Lost them a sale because I was buying the stabilizer from them

Yeah I don't know either. Guess they just weren't familiar with Currie maybe. Lost them a sale because I was buying the stabilizer from them

Yea I did not have a problem either. All the parts were supplied and it was a pretty simple bolt in. Just follow the instructions and your good to go!

thanks
I am currently running a Rubicon Express Stabilizer on mine. The OME steering stabilizer I ordered just arrived yesterday and it will be going on at the same time I swap my front Diff Cover. Which ever way you decide to go, a stabilizer will definitely fit and it makes the control go from smooth to straight black ice slick.

I know this is an old thread, but can someone tell me the length of travel for the steering stabilizer with the Currie system? So from full lock to the left and full lock to the right what’s the difference in distance? I ordering a king stabilizer to match my shocks and that’s how they are sized. Thanks for the help!

I know this is an old thread, but can someone tell me the length of travel for the steering stabilizer with the Currie system? So from full lock to the left and full lock to the right what’s the difference in distance? I ordering a king stabilizer to match my shocks and that’s how they are sized. Thanks for the help!
Standard steering damper travel is 6”, assuming your TJ is aligned correctly.

The Currie or Savvy steering kit doesn’t change the steering geometry. Only changing the steering stops or the knuckles themselves will have an impact on travel. You will need the hardware kit that comes with the Currie draglink to mount the steering damper.

I have since removed my steering damper and installed ram assist steering in its place, but it uses the exact same geometry and mounting as a steering damper. So if you ever go to ram assist, a 6” cylinder will work.

I have not run a stabilizer at all the last ten years or so. I just keep all the joints in good condition and no issues. I felt it hid things going bad and removed it. I was able to tell now when something needs serviced right away before it gets bad or tears up tires. I did recently put the Hydro Assist in its place. Not sure I like it. It is the ultimate steering damper. It sure makes turning those big old tires easy but almost takes the driving experience away in some regards for me anyway.

So if you ever go to ram assist, a 6” cylinder will work.
No, a 6" travel 1.5" bore cylinder that has been paid attention to for the overall compressed length will work. Not just any bloated extra material here and there cylinder with 6" of travel will work.

To be pedantic, when we were measuring the throw, we found the travel at the connection on the draglink varied between 5 7/8" and 6 3/16". It isn't feasible to build those lengths so 6" was settled on.